Lightest Case (Stay on) for MBP 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackfrost123, Feb 27, 2009.

1. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

Anyone want to give us the heads up here? I am looking for the lightest Case (Stay on) for MBP 15" as per the thread title. Dunno if there's a better name for this type of two piece, always on case, so be my guest.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if you count it as a case (and at most what a case would provide) would be the invisibleSHIELD. Otherwise, you'll be looking at the InCase cover.

3. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

4. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

hey thanks guys, btw let me point out here that what I am talking about might be refered to as a "hard shell" also.

5. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

don't get the speck clear cases. They left the corners of my macbookpro scratched and ugly. I have a sweet incase 2 piece cover for my iPod and i wish they made one similar for my unibody

6. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Do you have a picture of that? I'm intrigued.

7. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

My vote goes to the Macally bookShell Pro. I've used Speck and Incase shells before, and weight-wise, I feel that the BookShell Pro is the featherweight champ here.

8. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

How come the macally shell doesn't have opening vents for heat dissipation in the bottom half?

Also can any of you guys who already have these cases tell us if they limit the opening angle in any way? Some case do.

9. richard779 macrumors newbie

Incase does make one i just bought one from the Apple Store in Sydney during the week... so far it does not increase the working temp of my macbook pro. But the only thing is that it makes the screen side a bit heavy tho... other then that its ok

10. abcdefGARY macrumors regular

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I have an incase hard shell on my Penryn MBP, and the farthest the screen goes is just past 90 degrees.

12. amorican macrumors member

amorican

I have the incase hardshell and it's great. The only issue is it limits the opening angle to around 90 degrees. I solved that problem by filing the back of the bottom case off, it opens all the way now.

The case itself fits really well, and has a nice almost rubbery texture to it. I definitely recommend it as long as your comfortable with filing the back off.

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I agree- the texture is great. But at the same time, it attracts finger prints/grease marks. Kind of like the black MacBook does.

14. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, damn, thanks pal, shhhh, I was almost sold on this one...especially with the new mbp opening up at a larger (about what angle?) angle to the previous one, this is a deal breaker for me. Plus what about these things, like I said, not having any vent holes in the lower half?

15. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

It depend of the case and laptop. Some of the news one for the Unibodies are build to allow the laptop to open completly. Speck and Incase does that. This come at a cost: The back is a little less protected when the laptop is closed. Should not be a problem.

16. Daremo macrumors 68020

Daremo

I have the black satin Speck case on my 15", and I LOVE it. I highly recommend the Speck.

17. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey Peter, muchos gracias man, been very helpful there. :apple:

18. abcdefGARY macrumors regular

19. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah good point guys, and gals, let's keep the weight in mind too as per the initial topic.:apple: