Lighting cable charges iPhone from 9% to 30% in one second

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by richpuer, Oct 5, 2013.

1. richpuer macrumors 6502

So I think my ios7 has really jacked my battery.

I was out all day and the phone went down to 9% charge. Dropped from 15% to 9 in 5 minutes of just browsing.

Anyhow I get home and plug in the charger and bam I all of a sudden see 30% charge. Remove the charger and the charge drops to 28%. Plug it in and back to 30.

Anyone else getting these kind of issues? Really annoying right now

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

you may need to calibrate the battery,
    let the phone run untill it shuts off, then plug in and let it charge fully, and then keep charging for a while before you unplug.

not sure if this will help, but it won't hurt.

3. richpuer thread starter macrumors 6502

I did that. No help.

On the flip side

I charged the phone up to 60%, left the house. Used it for 15 mins and it dropped to 30% now. Something is seriously wrong

4. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I just went to Apple for this for my GF's iPhone 5...the Genius first took out SIM card and looked at the sensor and it was bright pink. I guaranteed the phone has never been water damaged. They denied me service although all other sensors were OK. I told them it must have been from me taking my phone in the bathroom when showering. They said yup you can't do that...I asked "so if I lived in Florida when humidity is 80% my phone will be denied service?" They couldn't answer. It's BS policy.

It's obvious the battery is bad but since a sensor got triggered they said its because of water damage. I was pretty pissed...

5. richard6r macrumors regular

They are allowed to make exceptions if other sensors were not tripped. one sensor does not indicate various liquids entering into the phone and this can be argued. Although it depends on who you get most of the time chances are you would get someone that would gladly replace the phone given that you explain the situation. It is a common problem with past iPhones with the sensor being tripped due to weather alone. They can replace it, but like I said depends on who you get.

FYI I too take my phone into the bathroom with me while I shower. Placing it on the counter and this alone hasn't tripped any sensor so that itself is pretty odd for you to have that gone off. For indication purposes my phone is usually fogged up so you can understand it is pretty humid.

6. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

That is why I asked him to check the other sensors but he wouldn't change his mind. I asked another genius at the store what he thought and he said "I can't change what the other genius already determined" seems like that genius would have been more understanding. Anyways, thank god for American Express...I'm filing a claim.

7. richpuer thread starter macrumors 6502

All this happened After iOS 7 install. It has to be software related, no?

8. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

That particular sensor is inside the SIM slot. It's pretty hard to get it wet accidentally (that's why apple chose that location).

Regardless of that I would do a full restore, setup as a new phone and test it over a couple of days. Do you find that it gets very hot when you use it? When something is causing the battery to run down quickly the phone becomes very hot.

9. Altis macrumors 68000

OP, try a "Reset All Settings"... that helped wonders on my 4S.

Although, I still do get the battery jumping around and the phone shutting off at 10-20% sometimes, it's still better than it was.