Lighting cable stretched the hole?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ogino, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Ogino macrumors newbie

I don't know if this is something that could have caused it or is even possible, but I got a knock off version of a lighting cable online for my iPhone to charge at work as I hate taking the cables around.

When I tried to charge with it, the cable felt tight but I tried charging with it anyway. Since then (I may be paranoid), every time I try to charge my phone with the official one that came with it at home, it stops charging every time I move my phone while charging. It's a very slight on/off problem. It basically stops charging by a slight movement, and if I move again, it starts charging. Sometimes it doesn't charge but if I push the cable left or right, it starts charging.

I stopped using the knock off one after the first time, but could the knock off one possibly have stretched and caused this? Or do people experience this in general, depending on what cable, it may feel tighter, regardless of who made it, etc..

Hope that made sense.. Thanks

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

The knockoff messed with the lightning socket. The phone shouldn't stop charging from slight movement.

I would go to Apple and get a warranty replacement before your warranty runs out.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

I have a friend who bought a knock-off Lightning cable. It too, was a tight fit, so I would not be surprised if it did expand the opening of your iPhone's port.

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i doubt the cable stretched anything. the knock off charger is just junk. what happens when you use the apple cable? same thing?

the knock off is probably not the correct dimensions as the required real one, therefore not making proper contact with the phones contacts correctly.

5. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

yeah i doubt the lightning cable stretched anything. Most likely its the end of the cable wire that got loose. And you're saying the original Lightning cable is the one that had the problem? Well, I had two OEM Apple lightning cables go bad on me already, the ends got loose and the cable had to be positioned a certain way for it to charge. Took it back to Apple and got it replaced, no questions asked.

I had far better luck with aftermarket lightning cables than I did with OEM. Go figure...

6. Ogino thread starter macrumors newbie

I only charged with the knock off once, I just pushed it in and it charged but it felt awkward so never went back to it.

After that, when I went home and used the Apple one, it went in smoothly but (maybe I didn't notice before) but every time I move a tiny bit, the phone stops charging. It's a tiniest movement, charge comes on and off.

I may have never noticed it before because I always left it on the floor. But I remember using the phone while the phone being plugged in so I'm curious to if the inside socket has been stretched from the knock off (if that is even possible)...

I hope so... About lighting cable stretch being unlikely.

It is within warranty however, 2 years. It's only been half a year. Usually though when you take it in, they take your phone away to get it sent to be fixed.. I want to avoid that. Do apple stores fix on the spot? When it's something as small as this.

Last time when I bought the phone, the home button didn't work as well. I took it back, but they said it had to be shipped away. But luckily, it was within 2 weeks so it didn't get sent away and got replaced straight away... That won't be the case this time......

7. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Uhhh my reply was referring to the cables being the problem not your phone. So why would they take your phone away. They will just take your damaged cable and give you a new one. You said the problem is with your OEM cable...try a different OEM cable and see if you have the same problem if not the problem is your cable.

8. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

9. TiMBERFLY USA, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

TiMBERFLY USA macrumors newbie

I gotta agree with above - the knock off cable was incorrectly manufactured so it messed with your charging dock inside the phone. Now there is some type of disconnect between the charging cables and your device and they are only making contact in the right location.

I second the motion to take your phone into Apple and see if they'll trade you out for a refurb phone

Eric - TiMBERFLY USA
    www.timberfly.com
    support@timberfly.com

10. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

I would check the USB power cube. The metal prongs, I found, can fit loosely in some older extension cords or power strips. Perhaps when you wiggle the plug at the phone's end, it is moving the USB cube.

Just a thought. I can't really see how the the phone port got stretched.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Your lightning port isn't "stretched". It's not made from an elastic material. Have you verifed that there isn't a problem with the original cable? Until you've done so you're just randomly guessing.

Damage to the lightning port in't a warranty issue if you damaged it. If you have Applecare+ you can use one of your incidents.

12. CHMK macrumors regular

thats why i really hate apples prices: lets face it using a third party lightning cable is usually dangerous, hence the cases of the chinese electrocuting themself. yet people are forced to do this because a lightning cable is frankly really expensive for the manufacture price...

u could get a new phone as people have suggested and also swap in ur faulty charger in their fake charger program.