Lighting cord hard to unplug?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iParis, Sep 30, 2012.

1. iParis, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

For some reason my lighting to USB connector is really, really hard to unplug from the wall adaptor and a bit easier from my MacBook. My dock connector still unplugs fine. Anybody else have this problem? I practically had to use my teeth to get it out of the wall adapter as I didn't want to put strain on the cord by pulling it out!

2. docprego macrumors 65816

This is a known issue. I wonder if you could get a replacement for it at the Genius Bar? Anyone done that?

3. GenderFi macrumors regular

Mine is pretty difficult. I keep saying I hate the new smaller usb plug. I miss the older bigger ones, easier to grip and pull out.

4. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

I doubt it. Are they all like that? :O I should test out other ones if they have any out with display iPhones.

Don't get me wrong, I love the lightning port, I only have a problem unplugging the USB plug from the wall charger and other places.

5. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Hopefully they will still allow a replacement after noticing the teeth marks :D

6. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

Just happened to me 5 mins ago. Trying to unplug it from my apple keyboard. Had to pry it out using a flat head screwdriver.

7. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I had a helluva time unplugging it from the back of my iMac.

8. sdyoyo macrumors member

Same here unplugging it from Mac keyboard was way too time consuming.

9. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

I wonder what the cause is behind this. I know sometimes depending on how it looks they won't replace dock connectors with torn up ends because they say not to pull it from the cord, but we lack options here.

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

As docprego said, it is a known issue. Call Apple or take it into a store and I'm sure they will replace it for you.

11. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

So the replacement cable is a fixed version?

12. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Most likely. You may find that some of the lightning cables were a bad batch that were too tight. Get them to test it out on one of the store macs first before you leave the store.

13. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Well I'll also be bringing in my wall charger and maybe MacBook to show them. If I never get around to it (though I'm sure I will) I wouldn't have a problem if it broke, as long as they replaced it after that! Haha.

14. Dark macrumors regular

Thats what she said....:D:D

Ah Mondays at the office.

15. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

On the phone with Apple support about this. The rep said he hasn't heard of this issue before. Waiting to see what he can do. I wish they'd just send me another cable, and I'd leave the faulty one attached to the power adapter and use the new one where I need to plug/unplug a lot.

16. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

They are sending me a new cable, but placing a hold on my credit card until I send the old one back. The hold charge is $15.30, so I might just keep the old one and leave it on the power adapter. If the new one is just as difficult to unplug, they said to call back and go from there.

17. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Looks like the charge is 21.16. Still worth keeping the cable though.

18. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

I think it'll be easier to go to a genius bar. Then you can buy a cable right there, open it, and if it has the same problem switch it out. Hopefully this issue is resolved and only cables effected were ones included with iPhone 5s.

19. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I agree. However, the nearest Apple store is 1.5 hour drive for me.

----------

Another annoying thing - the email I got confirming my request says that I'll need to sign for the delivery. I have to sign for a lightning cable?? I work and won't be home at the time of delivery, more than likely. Maybe I can pre-sign or something....

20. Cougarcat macrumors 604

You should be able to presign just like the iPhone. There will be a form to fill out after it ships.

Apple simply asks for signatures for everything since they mostly sell expensive things.

21. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

Same here!! I got so pissed off cuz I had to leave in the morning and the damn thing wouldnt come off.

22. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

23. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Just received the replacement cable and it's just as hard to unplug. It seems like my original is getting easier, so maybe they just need to be "broken in".