Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
For some reason my lighting to USB connector is really, really hard to unplug from the wall adaptor and a bit easier from my MacBook. My dock connector still unplugs fine. Anybody else have this problem? I practically had to use my teeth to get it out of the wall adapter as I didn't want to put strain on the cord by pulling it out!

Last edited:

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Mine is pretty difficult. I keep saying I hate the new smaller usb plug. I miss the older bigger ones, easier to grip and pull out.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
This is a known issue. I wonder if you could get a replacement for it at the Genius Bar? Anyone done that?

I doubt it. Are they all like that? :O I should test out other ones if they have any out with display iPhones.

Mine is pretty difficult. I keep saying I hate the new smaller usb plug. I miss the older bigger ones, easier to grip and pull out.

Don't get me wrong, I love the lightning port, I only have a problem unplugging the USB plug from the wall charger and other places.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Just happened to me 5 mins ago. Trying to unplug it from my apple keyboard. Had to pry it out using a flat head screwdriver.

I had a helluva time unplugging it from the back of my iMac.

Same here unplugging it from Mac keyboard was way too time consuming.

I wonder what the cause is behind this. I know sometimes depending on how it looks they won't replace dock connectors with torn up ends because they say not to pull it from the cord, but we lack options here.

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
So the replacement cable is a fixed version?

Most likely. You may find that some of the lightning cables were a bad batch that were too tight. Get them to test it out on one of the store macs first before you leave the store.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Most likely. You may find that some of the lightning cables were a bad batch that were too tight. Get them to test it out on one of the store macs first before you leave the store.

Well I'll also be bringing in my wall charger and maybe MacBook to show them. If I never get around to it (though I'm sure I will) I wouldn't have a problem if it broke, as long as they replaced it after that! Haha.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
On the phone with Apple support about this. The rep said he hasn't heard of this issue before. Waiting to see what he can do. I wish they'd just send me another cable, and I'd leave the faulty one attached to the power adapter and use the new one where I need to plug/unplug a lot.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
They are sending me a new cable, but placing a hold on my credit card until I send the old one back. The hold charge is $15.30, so I might just keep the old one and leave it on the power adapter. If the new one is just as difficult to unplug, they said to call back and go from there.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Looks like the charge is 21.16. Still worth keeping the cable though.

I think it'll be easier to go to a genius bar. Then you can buy a cable right there, open it, and if it has the same problem switch it out. Hopefully this issue is resolved and only cables effected were ones included with iPhone 5s.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I think it'll be easier to go to a genius bar. Then you can buy a cable right there, open it, and if it has the same problem switch it out. Hopefully this issue is resolved and only cables effected were ones included with iPhone 5s.

I agree. However, the nearest Apple store is 1.5 hour drive for me.

----------

Another annoying thing - the email I got confirming my request says that I'll need to sign for the delivery. I have to sign for a lightning cable?? I work and won't be home at the time of delivery, more than likely. Maybe I can pre-sign or something....

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I agree. However, the nearest Apple store is 1.5 hour drive for me.

----------

Another annoying thing - the email I got confirming my request says that I'll need to sign for the delivery. I have to sign for a lightning cable?? I work and won't be home at the time of delivery, more than likely. Maybe I can pre-sign or something....

You should be able to presign just like the iPhone. There will be a form to fill out after it ships.

Apple simply asks for signatures for everything since they mostly sell expensive things.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
Just received the replacement cable and it's just as hard to unplug. It seems like my original is getting easier, so maybe they just need to be "broken in".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.