Lighting for sony hd cam

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iguess25, Jan 2, 2012.

1. iguess25 macrumors regular

Whats a good light to attach to my camcorder for clearer video, also low light areas?

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

The lights that guy is selling, are ok. Most of them you'll also get on ebay, but I have done business with him before and trust him and his products.

The Z-96 is cool.

3. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular

Lights

Which light to go with to have that crisp clear picture?
    It will be for amateur type dvds for sale on dvd and blu-ray..

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a

It is all depending what you are shooting. For ENG style interviews, any of the lights I linked to will do if your subject is close enough.
    If you try to do some filmic scenes, you should have the lights off camera. Read up on three point lighting.

My favorite lights are Arri fresnels for indoor shooting. Outdoors, I work with reflectors and deflectors.

6. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular

cool, great info..
    Shoulda been clearer.. I need a awesome multipurpose type of light. for interviews, filming subjects, etc etc.. It has to be portable for my HD DSLR & HD CAMCORDER.. I wanna buy once. I pay for what I want.
    I want a video light portable for in/outdoor.day&nite..
    also do i need a kit/accefsories?
    yall pick.

7. cgbier macrumors 6502a

8. musique macrumors regular

musique

If you decide to go with something more elaborate than on-camera lighting (like three-point or more) and want some lights for "studio" work, you can often find pretty good deals on used lights from Mole Richardson (and sometimes Arri) on ebay.

If you get Mole gear that needs something, they will do repairs and/or check-out of your lights. Located in Los Angeles, Moles are great for your "buy once" philosophy. I've even purchased their used stands. Super value.

9. julesw macrumors member

julesw

Yep, I'm a big fan of LEd panels, but don't go to cheap. Some look good on paper but ..it's handy if it comes with a softener to pop on as they can be too bright and contrasty, plus blue and orange filters too.

Led lights are daylight balanced so if you film indoors with a lot of tungsten light you'll confuse the camera and it will be hard to white balance as you will have blue and orange light mixed. In that scenario you'd use the orange filter. If you are boosting daylight outdoors you'd use the blue.

10. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular

Budget

I want something portable when im on the go, traveling you know..
    I want something on the camera, that can do what a stationery light could do. So, on the camera with 3 filters thats great for indoor/outdoor use portable..

$300 budget $400 if so

11. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You won't be able to create a lighting with an on-camera LED as you would with a "real" light setup. However, the Z-96 I linked to in post #2 is a pretty decent light, and has the needed CC filters in the box.

12. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular

Cool im checking it out and i can use it on my dslr camera and camcorder???

13. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You can use it on whatever has a standard hot shoe.

14. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular

You been alotta help. so thats the best one out of the ones the guy have on the site?? for vid and cam

15. cgbier macrumors 6502a

For photography, a flash is better, but yes, that thing gives you the best bang for your buck.

16. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular