Home Technology Lighting Options?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by nviz22, Oct 9, 2018 at 9:20 AM.

1. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

So my new condo sub-rental has issues with lighting fixtures and I wanted to get a cheap temp option by my door so it's not pitch black when I return back from work.

What's the most affordable home automation option available? I am looking to get either a table lamp or a regular lamp that can be controlled via an app, motion, or be able to work via bluetooth w/ proximation when my phone is within the vicinity. What options are there for me? Thanks.

2. mritech macrumors member

Very easy fix. Get a smart plug for a lamp like a iHome switch or something like that. Get an Apple HomeKit compatible one and just make a scene in the HomeKit app for when you arrive home for it to turn on automatically, and you can even customize it for that to only work “after sunset” so it only does it at night.

You will have to leave the the switch on the lamp on at all times but the smart plug will cut the power to it. If you don’t do that the lamp will not work b/c it can’t turn physically turn it on

I have my high hats with the lutron dimmers working like this using the method I said. It’s all the same just a matter of what hardware you use.

3. mritech macrumors member

This is what I explained above. Good luck. Let me know if you need more help. It’s quite easy

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

Ok, so I ordered a cheap floor lamp for $8 from Walmart right now. I was looking at the Wemo one, but the app is known to be glitchy. I checked the iHome one and it has even worse reviews. I think I may have to go Wemo if that's the case?

I'll have to see where I can get the Wemo one for cheap. I was looking at the TP Link one too, but it doesn't have Siri or HomeKit enabled.

5. mritech macrumors member

I got a 2 pack for 40 bucks at Samsun of iHome but I haven’t used them yet.

I also read ikea is coming out with HomeKit ones soon and they will be around 15 each which is cheap.

Lutron makes a wall plug it won’t be cheap (almost 50 bucks on amazon) though but they’re app is good and you can use schedules and location but I haven’t played with the location feature.

They have a bunch on amazon but most are Alexa and google compatible. There not as may apple ones on the market

6. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

Problem with the IKEA ones is that it won’t work with Wi-Fi I think.