Lightning adapter extension

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 1984world, Oct 22, 2013.

1. 1984world macrumors 6502

1984world

Hey all,

Got a problem and hoping to find a solution. We have five clock/radio, iphone/ipod docks in our house. The connection is the 30 pin connection and the docks are absolutely fantastic, work great.

Now, with the new lighting cable/port, our new iphones, ipods, etc. are not able to sit on the dock. I have purchased the apple 30 pin to lightning connection adapters, and they work great with the electronics naked, but with a case on them (otterbox, apples proprietary case, etc.) they will not work. Basically, the lighting cable end (the pins) is not long enough to go past the lip of the case and extend into the phone.

Ive searched around, and could not locate a 30 pin to lightning, or even a lightning to lightning adapter/extension, other than cables, but all I want/need is a small adapter so I can easily dock our iphones while still in the case.

The docks were about 100 bucks each, and I would hate to have to go buy 5 more docks at that price when these all work just fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

3. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I have it, and it works.

5. 1984world thread starter macrumors 6502

1984world

I have to agree with Zimmy68, looks exactly the same. But it's only a few bucks so I figured I'd order one on the off chance it actually works. I'll post back once I receive it and give it a chance to work.

Any other suggestions would be awesome.

6. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

I got it and it works well. I just wish it was not so long, but it is the only one out there.

If it doesn't fit your case, use a Dremel

7. zipur macrumors 6502

8. 1984world thread starter macrumors 6502

1984world

I just received mine in the mail and just tried it with ZERO success. It absolutely will not fit the iphone 5S with the apple leather case. Does not fit. You would have to actually cut out the case (which could render it useless or so damaged it doesn't hold properly) to make this fit-which you really shouldn't with an approved (made by apple) case.

Why would someone post that it fits when it so clearly does not?

9. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Maybe they are the ones selling it on eBay in the first place? But a few searches would have told you that adapter doesn't fit with the leather case, sadly. Just re-list it, someone will buy it I'm sure.

10. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I posted that it works because the one I received works. I use it every day in my car, with the Apple Leather case.

Pocketdoc also posted that his works.

11. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Here is a pic of the adapter.

[​IMG]

and it in the leather case, it actually fits in the case with room to spare.

[​IMG]

12. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I'm interested in that, does it pass audio like an Apple branded cable does?

13. 1984world, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

1984world thread starter macrumors 6502

1984world

Well the one I purchased is exactly the same size as the one that apple sells in its stores. Exactly to the millimeter. And neither go past the case and charge it. I've checked with multiple cables, multiple docks, none of which allow it to work. Unless something freaky happened like your case is abnormally thin, or the adapter you got was abnormally long, I really have no idea how it would fit. It was only a few bucks, so no biggie, but for future buyers, just a word of warning-doesn't fit.

EDIT:

I looked at the picture a little closer than I previously did. Your adapter is NOT the same one that I purchased from the link you posted. The one you have actually has an extension near the base that allows it to reach into the case before plugging into the iphone. Look at the base of black (it has an extra few millimeters of black plastic before the start of the plug in). The one I ordered from the link you posted doesn't have that (as well, the connection/metal "fins" on mine are black instead of white like you posted, so is definitely a different device). The one I received is exactly the same as apples proprietary one (which I also own) only black. The one you posted pics of is the kind of device that I have been looking for.

I'm thinking you either posted the wrong link, or the seller has changed the product. One way or the other, the product I purchased directly from that ebay link is different.

So buyer beware of the posted link. Does not work with apples case!

Hopefully I can find one that does!

14. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

The link I posted was from my eBay sale. The seller must have different adapters. Send him my pic and tell him that is the one you wanted.

I also don't appreciate you stating I intentionally posted a link to a product that does not fit, or the wrong link.

The adapter I received from MY link works, sorry you got a different adapter.

15. 1984world thread starter macrumors 6502

1984world

This is what you said:

I bought this one off eBay and it works with my Apple Leather case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Co...item5aedeb21d6

Note that nothing was said about "this buyer" only a reference to what you purchased and a direct link to an adapter. If that was not the correct adapter, there either shouldn't be a link, there should be a link to the proper adapter, or it should have been stated that "this was the seller."

So my statement stands. Misinformation was provided. I responded.

Hopefully he does in fact have a different adapter. It's really not a big deal, only 3 bucks, but there was even follow up statements from a couple of us stating that it looked just like the apple adapter-with no reply. But I will definitely check out the seller. Thanks for the info.