Lightning adapter incompatible with case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by johnc22, Oct 10, 2012.

1. johnc22 macrumors 6502

I have a simple Speck Pixel skin case and received my adapter today. Unfortunately the lightning end of it is too short to make a connection through the depth of the case. I suspect that this will be an issue with most cases.

Alternatives, or cases that allow the adapter to work?

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Yea, any case that covers the bottom portion of the phone in any way will likely cause this problem.

Should have bought the .2m variant.

3. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

4. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Yeah you should return it and get the 0.2M adapter cable for 39.99. It'll probably be a better investment in the long run.

5. johnc22 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Just got the adapter and it doesn't work with monoprice bumper. I have to take off the bumper, in order for it to charge. Just don't get why they didn't come up with a better design. I have 4, 30 pin cords, so I went with the adapter. I'm waiting for the Sena Leather Skin to come in, hopefully the adapter will work with that.

7. Jman13 macrumors 68000

So you bought a bunch of adapters for your cords? You know the adapters are more expensive than new cords, right?

8. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I know! Thought it was the best way to go, not ANYMORE!!

9. mzd macrumors 6502a

except the cable housing is larger on the adapter cable so even that might not work with some of the cases cut to fit the original cable.
    from iLounge:
    [​IMG]

10. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

I bought a Case-Mate pop-out stand case and that works with the adapter. Waiting for the Sena, then I'll see where to go from there.

11. southnc macrumors member

Just got mine in the mail today and it also does not work with my iPhone 5 case! :mad:

Who designed this thing?

I called Apple and the person I spoke with also agreed it did not make sense and would pass along the complaint.

Meanwhile, the comments and rating is still not up, so I cannot warn others. :(

12. johnc22 thread starter macrumors 6502

My guess is that cases and docks will adjust to the new connector but for now I took the scalpel to my Speck Pixelskin HD to widen the space on the bottom so the adapter now fits, but I'll be looking for another case in the meantime that offers good protection (maybe hard case over rubber inner case) and also allows use of the adapter and other docks.

13. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

That's some poop right there.

14. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Same issue with the Speck Candyshell. I thought I had it figured out using a car charger USB so I could use the lightening cable, but the 30-pin adapter is the only thing I can use with my Audi iPod/iPhone connector :( So I can charge it, but I either need to get a different case or remove it to listen to music. So now we need an adapter, for an adapter .... :rolleyes:

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I bought two of the 0.2m cable versions. Delivered today. Work great with my Belkin case. But I can see how the non-cable version would have some problems with thick cases that cover the bottom completely. I actually prefer to use feather-type cases which don't cover the top or bottom and avoid problems like this altogether.

But the 20cm cable version works great.

----------

See above.

16. acorntoy, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Oh no!

You mean the Apple designed adapter didn't work the third party case?! :rolleyes:

Take off the case, then try, it's how it was designed to be ;)

OP:

I'd either take off the case each time you use it ( a hassle, but not apples fault) or return and like others have said spend the extra $10 to see if the more expensive version works.

17. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

No, Apple needs to make a more case friendly adapter. Like the Nanotch one. If I can find one (or 2), I'm getting it and taking the 2 30-pin adapters I bought for the car chargers back to Apple. Only thing is it doesn't support video out IIRC, but I'm not sure what I would need that for just using this in my car :confused: