Lightning cable extenders

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mjt57, Feb 20, 2015.

1. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

I have a clock radio with a Lightning dock. It has a recess where the iPhone rests (and where the Lightning connector protrudes).

Anyway, I now have a 6+. Due to its increased width over previous iPhones it won't fit into the dock.

I've looked around for a Lightning cable with male/female connectors, but sadly, I cannot find anything.

The idea is to connect the cable to the dock connector and the other end to the iPhone 6+.

There are these small Lightning dock extenders which sell for a dollar or so on Ebay, but they aren't "certified" and the half a dozen that I bought have all failed within a short period of time (and no way to give the seller a neg. feedback).

So, I'd like to hear from dock owners who now have the wider phones and what they're doing.

2. draver macrumors newbie

I recently bought two, three foot Lightning cable extensions. One I got from Amazon, and the other from a company I found on Amazon. They both work well for charging and syncing, however neither one will pass video signals.

I bought them for use with a thermal camera which plugs into the bottom of iPhones with lightning ports. Oh well.

They were about $9 each, and seem to be well made, so I just use them to make a 3 foot cable longer.

http://www.amazon.com/California-Cable-Market-Lightning-Extension/dp/B00OXJUJPK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1424466729&sr=8-6&keywords=lightning+cable+extension

Looks like they raised the price a little.

3. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

I got THIS to use with my car stereo, I use it with an apple 30 pin adapter and for what I need, works perfect, it charges, syncs, I can see all the info on my radios screen.

Not sure if it is what you are looking for.

4. mjt57 thread starter macrumors regular

mjt57

Thanks Romeo.

That's exactly what I need. The 9 pin to 9 pin version, that is.

Just ordered one. Cost $38.50 USD to ship to Oz (or around $50 AUD). Bit expensive for what it is but if this mob is the only one around who can supply such a thing then if I want it...

5. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

I agree with you on it been a bit expensive, and personally I do not like the shape of the connector at the end that goes into the phone, but it works very well for what I need, hope it works well for you, I also spent a while searching.

6. mjt57, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

mjt57 thread starter macrumors regular

mjt57

I didn't see your post (must've had one of those "man looks" that my wife keeps going on about). Sorry.

All the cable that I require needs to do is to connect to the clock radio and to function as if it's directly docked.

This is what I have.

http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/...ipod-iphone/?gclid=CP2ggInx9MMCFQoHvAodOggAWQ

On that Amazon site there are those small adapters. I considered getting one of them but I don't know how it'd go with my radio.

I bought a few for the iPhone 5S. Similar to what this guy is selling.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-pin-Do...3236639&pid=100040&rk=2&rkt=2&sd=281124310483

All of them failed within 2 months. Started with the usual "accessory not compatible" or words to that effect error message on the phone.

I just tried the remaining one with the 6+. The phone didn't even see a connection (no charge indicator) and no audio coming through to the radio. And sitting up so high it was rather wobbly.