Lightning cable issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by orangecrushv, Oct 5, 2012.

1. orangecrushv macrumors regular

The new cables are supposed to be able to plug in either way on the bottom of the phone, right? One of our new phones will only charge if the cable is inserted a particular way, if I flip it, it doesn't register as plugged in and doesn't charge. Is there any explanation of this or do I need to swap a new phone? (I tried 2 different cables on the same phone, happens with both cables...) Thanks!

2. EnJaNir macrumors member

Since you have two phones and two cables you should be able to rule out either a bad cable or bad device.

It sounds like on one phone either cable works in either orientation while the second phone only works when either cable is inserted in one direction.

Given that it sounds like there is an issue with the phone. I would take it to an apple store and get a replacement.

If it makes you feel better when I received my phones (myself and spouse) I needed to get mine replaced on the first day. As soon as I plugged in the lightning cable to charge it the phone crapped out.

3. orangecrushv thread starter macrumors regular

In case anyone was wondering, they swapped out the phone in like 2 minutes... Was obviously a phone issue to them...