Lightning cable knockoffs... In the future?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by vaultwit, Sep 27, 2012.

1. vaultwit macrumors regular

So we all know about Apple's sneaky authentication chips inside the lightning cables preventing third party manufacturers from making their own version. But do you think in the future we will see them? Or do you think Apple made the chips in some way that makes it impossible to duplicate?

I've bought several 30-pin connector cables from eBay for my iPhone 4 for like a dollar each. Looks exactly the same and works perfectly fine with all Apple products (before iPhone 5) and personally, I'm hoping I can do the same with these lightning cables eventually lol

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The chip also dynamicaly reasigns the pins so the plug is reversible. Are you really going to trust that a $1 cable will safely do that?

3. vaultwit thread starter macrumors regular

Ok fine prolly not $1... But maybe $5?? Or $7??

4. solo118 macrumors 65816

For now I would NOT mess around. I know its easy to save money now and get the cable from ebay etc., but given the retail price of $19.99 for this cable at Apple and the $13-$15 price on ebay is not worth the hassle. I personally love the longer 6ft cable, but i will wait until it comes out and just stick with an extra 3 footer for the time being.

5. leenak macrumors 68020

That $1 cable may end up costing you hundreds, I say just buy the authorized version.

6. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

There will be knockoffs. Just not as quickly as before. Apple still has their "Made for iPod/iPhone" program. 3rd parties like Griffen, Belkin etc will be a part of that and have charging cords, cradles, car mounts, clock radios & more.

Once the Made for iPod partners get the official specs, someone will leak them to the Chinese cloners and we will get cheap eBay cables. Although having to put a chip in each one will affect the price a bit.

7. vaultwit thread starter macrumors regular

DING! The 6ft cable is my main reason as well. Had one for my iPhone 4, and loved it. Although I suppose another solution would be to buy a USB extension from amazon or something and use it with the short lightning cable. Anyone tried this? Any good extension cable recommendations?

8. Juicy D. Links macrumors 6502

That is a great idea man..... I am gonna check some out now :D

9. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I'm using an extension cable right now works great. It's just a generic one I got with some product a long time ago.