Lightning Cable - manufacturer date on cable?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 321estrellas, Oct 29, 2015.

1. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

My buddy told me a pretty funny story...I find it hard to believe but want to know that I'm not crazy.

He tried to save a few bucks by taking his faulty lightning cable to the Apple store to get it replaced. This cable came with his iPhone 5 (well over warranty) but was trying to claim it came with his iPad mini 2 (still within warranty). The guy at the Apple store "checked" to see if the manufacture date of the cable matched his iPad, and "saw" that it didn't. He looked closely at the cable to determine this. My friend left the store with his head hung low, ashamed, as he should be. Later, he looked all over the cable and couldn't find any printing of sorts, and tried to get me to find anything, and I couldn't.

Do you think the Apple guy actually saw something or maybe he just saw right through the old cable?

2. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I believe there are some numbers located on the cable somewhere, don't have the cable near me to check.

3. 321estrellas thread starter macrumors 6502

321estrellas

By gosh, I was crazy! I will never doubt Apple again :oops:

Attached Files:

4. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I did the same thing 2 weeks ago for 3 cables

The genius said the cables were from 2013 or so but still replaced them

5. 321estrellas thread starter macrumors 6502

321estrellas

Lucky you! And I do mean lucky...perhaps another rep in the store may not have done the same thing. I don't think I'll try and push my luck in the 5% chance I'll get that one nice rep...

6. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

The rep probably would have replaced them if your friend was honest.

7. MsRandall, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I just said - this cables need to be replaced - I have 5 people with idevices in my house. The genius looked at the cables and stated the cables are out of warranty from a 5s or so but he would replace them

10 mins of my time didn't lie or try pass them off from any particular model

I mean I've had every iPhone since the 4s but the lightning cable is the weakest cable ever and they should replace them for customers

I don't remember even my cheap eBay $3 micro usb cables breaking