Lightning cable = new Antennagate?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by samiznaetekto, Sep 28, 2012.

1. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

1. iPhone 5 is unplugged - getting 3 bars of AT&T's 4G, and [relatively] good tethering speed.
    2. Connected cable to charge.
    3. Signal IMMEDIATELY drops to 1 bar and data speed drops to 0. No data at all. (haven't tried making a call)
    4. Disconnected the cable. Signal is back to 3 bars and good data speed.
    5. Repeated steps several times, seems to be consistent behavior.

WTF?!

Is Lightning cable shortening the antenna?

Do you have similar experience?

Besides this issue, I find iPhone 5 as prone to Antennagate as iPhone 4 - if you're "holding it wrong", the signal is noticeably attenuated.

:(

2. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I notice none of this. Signal quality is usually better than my iPhone 4 I still own.

4. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

No.
    It's not.

I see NO difference in signal strength.
    (AT&T)

why is every glitch a "-gate"?

5. justdonating macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear you're having issues. My experience with the iPhone 5 is the total opposite. I live near a commuter airport and reception at home with my iPhone 4 and 4S was awful. With my iPhone the reception and call quality is excellent.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Never seen that.

This appears to be an isolated incident and you're calling it the new Antennagate :rolleyes:

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Doesn't happen to me, but my iPhone does randomly drop connection to AT&T, which gets annoying.

8. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

With or without cable plugged?

Just like with original Antennagate, the issue is probably most noticeable when you don't have a great signal to begin with.

9. UFBoy2323 macrumors member

I don't have this issue with mine, when I plug it in - my signal bars stay the same.

10. skidbubble macrumors 6502

It was never fixed so, yes, you are going to notice this.

11. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm insulted by this comment. This is the new incarnation of The Antennagate acknowledged by Steve Himself, not just some "glitch"! :p I'm not inventing a new "-gate" here. Antennagate = something that you normally do with a phone (hold in in your hand, plug Apple's own cable to charge it) drops the signal.

How many bars you have that you see no difference?

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The original iPhone 4 issue was resolved in the 4S and 5.

13. UFBoy2323 macrumors member

Yes it was.

14. lionqueen macrumors 6502

My lightning cable died today. Going to get a new one sunday.

15. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

Uh, iPhone 5's signal VERY MUCH depends on how you're holding it. Just remember that there's big difference between 5 bars and 3 bars. EXPONENTIAL difference.

I haven't used 4s, only 4 and 5, but with 4 I'm very aware of how I'm holding it when the signal is not strong in the first place. It's sad that after upgrading to 5 I still have to be aware of how I'm holding it... after supposedly it was fixed in 4s.

16. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

Not everything is a "gate". In fact, nothing is a gate. Quit calling it gate. Jesus.

17. skidbubble macrumors 6502

No it wasn't, it still has the external antenna wrapped around the perimeter of the phone. The design has not changed.

18. formulatwo macrumors member

Nope. With or without the lightning cable my phone still gets five bars.

I do notice a difference in signal strength between LTE and 4G.

19. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I can't say that I've experienced any of this. But i'm on VZW too :D

20. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Indeed, it's getting real old.

No problems here, btw.

21. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

Remember, there's an EXPONENTIAL difference between 5 and 3 bars. After original Antennagate, Apple adjusted the bar/signal formula to differentiate more between strong and week signals. So that when you get 5 bars, you don't see Antennagate or only see it dropped to 4 bars. But when you get 3 bars or 2 bars, oh boy, the signal drops to 1 bar which means "NOTHING". No signal.

Antennagate = anything that you normally do with your phone (holding it in your hand, plugging the cable) drops the signal. If this is the case, YOU DESIGNED YOUR DAMN PHONE WRONG!!! If it's 5 bars and you built in the algorithm to still show 5 bars when antenna is attenuated while the signal is attenuated, and when it's 3 bars and it drops to 1 bar and no data trickling through because the signal is attenuated - THIS IS ANTENNAGATE!!!

Because there's no such thing as you're holding it wrong or you plugged in the cable - but there's such thing as YOU DESIGNED IT WRONG.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Every year its something different.
    Even the tiniest thing becomes huge and blown up all over the media.
    Always trying to find something wrong with it to get press and scare people about.
    Im not 100% what sells more this year. The scuff/scratch issues with some black iphones of the Apple/google maps thing.

23. ineel macrumors regular

This might be from induction caused by current flowing to close to the antenna in your phone. This is probably more noticeable when you have lower signal (1-2 bars) as your signal may drop due to the wire being to close to the phone or the internal circuitry is to close to the antenna causing inductive interference on your signal.

24. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

This problem in particular is not antennagate though as it is not a widespread issue like the original 4 was. I haven't noticed these problems either. You possibly have a defective phone or cable. Take it to an apple store and see if it can be recreated there. If not, I would check with your service provider maybe? I haven't noticed my signal drop at all when I am holding it or when plugged in. Even in those videos of the guy resting the phone on his arm and dropping signal, I could not recreate this problem, and I don't have the best signal where I live anyway. I'm usually getting 3-4 bars on the regular in my home town.

25. abercrombie macrumors regular

abercrombie

I'm connected to Lightning and have all 5 bars. :confused: