lightning cable not supported?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eclipse01, Sep 23, 2014.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

the stock lightning cable seems to give me a message that it is not supported, when my phone reaches 100% is this normal? Maybe an IOS8 bug?

2. PaythePiper macrumors member

My wife's brand new 6 was saying this, but my new 6 isn't with same cable. I smell a bug

3. Icculus macrumors 6502

Same thing with my iPhone 6, but it doesn't happen every time. Has happened 3-4 times since Friday though, always charges to 100% then it gets that error "this accessory may not be supported."

4. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

5. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I'm so glad I saw this thread because my new iPhone 6 gave me that message the other day when I was using the lightning cable I got with my iPhone 5. It was a genuine Apple cable but it said that it wasn't supported by this device. Weird.

6. raorth macrumors newbie

I wake up to this error message every morning. Must be a bug.

7. Theirb123 macrumors newbie

Or...they put a feature in ios8 that shuts off the Lightning cable once your phone reaches 100% to prevent it from damaging your battery...

8. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

Interesting. I was beginning to think it was my micro usb to lightning adapter. I bought one of these from Apple to use with a really long micro usb cable I had and I'm getting this message also on my IP6 in the morning after charging at night. Hopefully they fix this.

9. dfran1 macrumors regular

Saturday night my wife plugged her phone in and sunday morning the battery never charged, she ran it very lightly on a 1/4 charge all day until sunday night when we both tried and got that same error, but after removing and reinserting it went away

So it will not charge when the error occurs

10. Icculus macrumors 6502

This happened again to me last night, woke up to my iPhone 6 not charging and getting the message "this accessory might not be supported."

I guess I am going to hit up the apple store and get this phone swapped out, anyone else doing this?

11. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

I've only had the "not supported" message once, using a third-party cable in a USB port in a rental car. Only happened the one time, the rest of the time in that car it worked fine.

I have a dual USB wall charger that I charge my 6 and iPad on, no issues there.

At home I charge the 6 in an iPhone docking clock radio, no issues there as well.

About the I my thing I haven't tried it on yet is a battery pack, but I'm not expecting any problems.

12. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

you don't think its an IOS bug?

13. Icculus macrumors 6502

That is a possibility but it seems to be affecting a small percentage of users, this is the only thread of many forums I have seen discussing this which makes me think its more a hardware defect. I could be 100% wrong on this one, but I think I am going to swap out for a new iPhone if the apple store allows it.

14. dfran1 macrumors regular

I have not seen this happen again since sundays incident. Hopefully it does not show up again.

How about chargers, are you all using any chargers or is the iPhone 6 (+) picky?

15. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

yes, only have one cable and its the one that came with my phone

16. menist macrumors regular

menist

Call or take it to apple. Its not a bug, I had this problem on my iphone 5 back then and took it in and got a new one.

17. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

My iPhone 5 gives that error when I plug into a fully used powerstrip. However, when I plug the same cable into another wall socket, everything works fine.

18. dfran1 macrumors regular

So far, on my wife's 6, a month more for my 6 plus, I have not seen the issue again and I tried several car and house chargers and all worked.

19. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I am NOT saying that the following is the issue happening with your phones.

A few years ago when the 4 and 4s were Apple's two offerings, there was an issue that caused me and a friend to have to have our phones replaced after using them for several months.

If I recall correctly, whenever we plugged our phones into the stock Apple charger , there would be an error message that popped up infrequently stating that the device was not compatible with the accessory being used. This message would normally disappear after a disconnect and replug.

Well, as time rolled on, the message would become more and more frequent until the point it would not go away any time the phone was plugged into the charger.

Took the phones back to Apple early on, but couldn't get the phone to reproduce the bug, and Apple's diagnostics claimed the phone was fine. So finally after the bug would pop up reliably, we took our phones in and indeed, Apple replaced them after exhausting all other avenues of repair.

In the end, there was no exact cause found, but we live in hot, humid South Florida and we suspect somehow the connections on the phone for the old school USB connection were corroding or something of that nature.