Lightning cable only works one way?

JGar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
One of Apple's selling points for the new Lightning connector was that it doesn't matter which way you plug it in. I'm not sure if I've got a defect or what but mine only works one way. I've tried my iPhone 5 with two different cables and both of them only connect when plugged in the "right" way. I took a sharpie and put a little black dot on one the side that was working and it appears to be consistent in that only the one direction will work.

I asked my friend who also purchased the "5" to test his and his works both ways. Is anyone else having this problem? I can't figure out how the phone would even know which way it was plugged in?

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I've tried my iPhone 5 with two different cables and both of them only connect when plugged in the "right" way.
The Lighting connector does not have a "right" way since it can be plugged in facing either direction unlike the 30 pin cable which does have a "right" way.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Yeah Apple is venturing out, so yours sounds defective as they are supposed to go both ways ;).

llfloyd79

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Va. Beach, VA.
Mines is doing that now. I tried 4 different lighting USB cords and only works on one side. Guess I will take to Apple tomorrow and see what they do.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
This whole thread sounds like the joke where a patient claims that his whole body is in pain because it hurts any where he pokes.

You sort of alluded to it, but have you checked to make sure it's not your phone that's the problem, not the 4 cables?

Last edited:

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Maybe it is your phone.. not those cables? In either case, I'm sure you can get one or the other replaced under warranty.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have found a few people mention that dust/lint in their charging ports has caused issues. I was curious, so I took a peak in mine and, sure enough, there was quite a bit of lint accumulating in there. I never had issues due to this, but I blasted it out with some compressed are anyway. Just something to check before heading to the Apple store.

llfloyd79

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Va. Beach, VA.
I have found a few people mention that dust/lint in their charging ports has caused issues. I was curious, so I took a peak in mine and, sure enough, there was quite a bit of lint accumulating in there. I never had issues due to this, but I blasted it out with some compressed are anyway. Just something to check before heading to the Apple store.
I did that before I went to Apple and when I got there the Apple rep did that too. But still didnt work. But its cool....I got a new iPhone.

sharrahl

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
Lightening cable works one way

One of Apple's selling points for the new Lightning connector was that it doesn't matter which way you plug it in. I'm not sure if I've got a defect or what but mine only works one way. I've tried my iPhone 5 with two different cables and both of them only connect when plugged in the "right" way. I took a sharpie and put a little black dot on one the side that was working and it appears to be consistent in that only the one direction will work.

I asked my friend who also purchased the "5" to test his and his works both ways. Is anyone else having this problem? I can't figure out how the phone would even know which way it was plugged in?

I upgraded to iOS7 and started having issues charging my iPhone 5. I discovered that if I have the lightening cable plugged into the phone before I plug the charger into the wall, I don't get that message about 'this cable is not blah blah blah'. However if I plug in the phone after I plug in the charger I do see that message. Talk about strange.....bottom line-plug in the lightening cable to the iPhone first and then plug in the charger into the wall outlet.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I upgraded to iOS7 and started having issues charging my iPhone 5. I discovered that if I have the lightening cable plugged into the phone before I plug the charger into the wall, I don't get that message about 'this cable is not blah blah blah'. However if I plug in the phone after I plug in the charger I do see that message. Talk about strange.....bottom line-plug in the lightening cable to the iPhone first and then plug in the charger into the wall outlet.
The issue you for you is that you're using a 3rd party cable. iOS 7 attempts to deter you from using unauthorized cables with the iPhone.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013

You phone must be defective as my lightning cable works both way on my two phone, ipads and ipod. It should be easy to reproduce at the Apple store and they will give you another phone

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
on that note, there are official non Apple lightening cables that work fine with the new os and phone such as rocket fish from best buy and other places right?

laurenespana

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2014
I found it only worked in one direction also. Two days ago it quit working at all. Anyone else have this problem? I was concerned I had ruined the contacts by plugging it in incorrectly. I only received the audio response from one direction. I wish I had marked my cable.