Lightning Cable Warranty Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tgi, Jul 10, 2013.

1. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

[​IMG]

I've had my iPhone 5 since November. My lightning cable is worn out now. When I plug in my phone, I have to wiggle it sometimes to get it to charge. Once it's charging, the phone can't be moved otherwise it will lose the connection.

My questions is, will Apple replace this under warranty or will they consider it the customer's fault that the cable became like this.

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

They will replace it. Call them up and ask.

Also, stop plugging it in/unplugging it by pulling on the cable. Grab the plastic bit. (That's the only way the cable will wear)

3. tgi thread starter macrumors 65816

tgi

I never pull from the cable when unplugging, only the plastic part itself.

I think it has been worn out by using the phone while it's charging. The cord was probably in an awkward position. Doing that for 8+ months probably caused this.

4. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Putting strain on the plastic in any way, so perhaps straightening the cable out a lot (and essentially stretching it) is what causes the casing to look weird like that - the disconnectivity issues are likely by the awkward positioning.

5. tgi thread starter macrumors 65816

tgi

Got it.

I know you answered my original question already, but do you think something like this is Apple's fault (manufacturing defect) or user's fault for using the cable "incorrectly".

6. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

I don't think it's ANYONE'S "fault" per se.

It's just wear and tear. No one can make any object immune from wear and tear.

7. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

It's a good question. I guess you could argue either way and be correct.

It's not impossible to make a cable that wouldn't do this (e.g. I have several USB cables which are 10 years old and not doing this), but it's also not impossible to use the cable in such a way that doesn't screw it up and adds no time to your day.

8. Bear macrumors G3

Doesn't hurt to ask. And if the answer for some reason is no, I suggest you buy a new cable, it's $20(US) list price and you never know when a flaky cable will fail totally.

9. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

They will replace a cable for free 2 times, regardless of the reason

10. tgi thread starter macrumors 65816

tgi

Just an update. Walked into my local Apple store this morning with no appointment. They put me down for an opening they had in 30 minutes but said they'll try and get me out ASAP. I checked out the rMBPs for about 10 mins when they called my name. Swapped out my cable and I was on my way. Whole visit lasted 15 minutes, not bad for a Saturday morning. Go Apple!

11. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

These cables are complete junk. I had 30 pin cables with 10 times as much use on them as these. I have 8 lightning cables (2 iPhones and an iPad mini, cables in cars, at offices and at night stands) and they all look like this to varying degrees. So far 3 are dead. I'm completely done with these cables. I am planning to take these 3 to the Apple store and just sell the replacements. I have been buying the 6 ft RND cables from Amazon. They are $22 and are MUCH better quality.

12. rjkgr macrumors regular

Nice I never knew that and i guess its time for a new one

13. Dxgirl75, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

Dxgirl75 macrumors newbie

I have had this happen with my iphone 4 cord, my 5 cord, and my husband's 4 also. We also had a 4 where the outer hard plastic has come off. This is my second cord for the 5, and it has "ripped" just like the first. Apple replaced the first for me free of charge and I plan on getting the second fixed while still under warranty. We aren't using these any differently than any user would, and I have never had this issue with the charger from any other brand of phone.

14. s2ereotypical macrumors newbie

I even saw one in a telco shop display stand for iPhone where they wrapped the whole cable that is prone to fraying with masking tape.

15. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Ive replaced frayed 30pin cables all the time under the guise of my iPhone warranty. Apple will also even replace headphones.