Lightning cables are different for the 5S and 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by DDar, Sep 20, 2013.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I recently got home and plugged my iPhone 5S into my computer with a lightning cable I had found a few months ago on the street. The thing looked brand new and like it was in perfect working order, however, when I plugged my iPhone 5S into the computer with it it gave me a warning message on the screen saying "This cable is not supported by this device and may not work correctly" or something like that. Should I avoid using the lightning cable I found? I always like having at least two cables (one to plug into my computer and take on the go and one for my nightstand to plug the phone in at night), but I don't want any damage coming to my new phone.

What do you guys think?

2. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

it has nothing to do with the 5/5S rather ios7 does not allow some 3rd party cables to work with it.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You found a cable, are you sure it's not some 3rd party cable?

4. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

It very well could be, but why doesn't iOS7 allow third party cables to work anymore?

Also, it seemed to charge the phone despite the warning. Would using it harm my phone?

5. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

They don't allow unlicensed third party cables...not just third party cables in general. Your cable is a cheap knock-off (like the ones purportedly sold by Apple on Amazon).

6. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

my iphone 5 maxboost battery case isn't working with my 5S. Sucks.

7. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

8. Higney85 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue. Just bought the case FOR the 5s... Not cool.

9. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

ah hopefully you can return yours then, I've had mine for almost a year with the 5.

10. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

You have a $650++ device. Toss the 3rd party cable.

11. chuckput macrumors newbie

Maxboost charger doesn't work with 5S/IOS7

:mad: Yep, got the same issue with IOS7 and my Maxboost that's been great to use with my iPhone5 in mid afternoon when my battery got low. It still works with my 5 and iOS7.

Just got my iPhone 5S/IOS7 and the Maxboost doesn't work!!!! :(

12. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Wow that's terrible, a $70 device not working right.

My $20 battery case from eBay still works and doesn't even display an incompatibility message. iOS7 is too aggressive in it's cable detection to the point where even supposedly 'compatible' accessories display errors.

13. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Mine work on my iPhone 5 and I get an error but it still charges.

14. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

All of my chinese knock off cables give the error, and sometimes they won't charge. All I do is flip the plug around and it charges/syncs.

15. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

That's worrisome. The Lightning technology revolves around a chip that manages the variable functionality of the cable and provides for reversible insertion. What you describe is a cable from a manufacturer that didn't make the least effort to provide minimal Lightning functionality. I would be skeptical of what such a cable might do to my expensive phone and computer.