Lightning Cables From Amazon: Authentic?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mackandproud, Apr 3, 2013.

1. mackandproud macrumors 6502

I've received a lot of crap IP% accessories from amazon: used items sold as new, items which did not fit the description, and unusable garbage.

I just bought an apple lightning cable from amazon and the fit of the plug is very different: it is a much tighter fit, and it wiggles just a bit once plugged in. My original cable fits with less resistance and stays put once plugged in.

What are some tell tale signs of non-authentic lightning cables? Or, am I simply dealing with item to item variation instead?

Both cables look identical, and are of the same length. The cable was shipped in what seems to be an authentic apple box.

2. wxman2003 Suspended

Considering Belkin, and perhaps one or 2 more companies are the only ones other than Apple producing Apple approved cables, the rest are knockoffs and buyer beware. If they cost less than $15, it's a knockoff.

3. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Did you buy it directly from Amazon, or was it on Amazon but from a different seller?

4. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

An apple lightning cable sold by amazon (not fulfilled by amazon).

Just wondering if others have more than one apple cable and notice sample to sample variation.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You should pay close attention to who the actual seller is. I've never had problems with purchases actually from Amazon. Amazon marketplace sellers are an entirely different story. Some are reputable, some are not.

6. rgctx macrumors regular

You can buy Apple "Authentic" looking boxes on various auction sites, most sellers buy these boxes (which you cant tell are fake) and put the cheap china apple clone products in.

IMO sometimes its better just to buy it from apple, on the upside at least you get a warranty.

7. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

The Amazon Basic ones are authentic, I think.

8. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

but do they work?

The real question is do they work. I used to buy my imitation 30 pin apple cables for something like 12 cents a piece. I'd by them by the dozen and if they stopped working after a couple of months, I didn't particularly care....considering how many chargers I constantly have laying about, I'd love to do the same here.

9. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

I paid $15 for it, and bought directly from amazon like I said.

However, I have read that knockoff lightning cables (such as boxwave) have a slightly larger plug.

This cable is the same length, comes in an apple box, but has a much more snug fit than the cable shipped with my phone.

It works just fine, both powering the phone and transferring data. I'm only concerned with the possibility of the plug making the jack a bit more loose over time.

I guess I'll return it since I'm suspicious.

10. foam macrumors member

The ones that say "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" are authentic Apple ones. I ordered it and it was authentic. Ones from other sells are not legit. The one I'm talking about is 16.99 on their site with free Prime.

11. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, this is what I ordered. It does fit differently than the cable that came with the phone, so clearly there is some variation from one cable to the next. Or, perhaps the first cable is 'broken in' so to speak while the new one isn't.

I'm not thrilled with the quality of the new cable, but I'll use it for a week or two to see if remains a funky fit or not.

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Talk to customer support. They'll be happy to send you another to see if there's any difference.

13. maliu macrumors 6502a

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightni...id=1365174050&sr=8-1&keywords=lightning+cable
    This is authentic Apple, lists "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com."
    $17.

This:
    http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...id=1365174050&sr=8-2&keywords=lightning+cable
    Is authentically licensed from Apple. Also states "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" (notice a trend)
    $14

15. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Lightning Cables From Amazon: Authentic?

How about this one:
    Its Fulfilled by amazon.com sold by GadgetGush
    http://amzn.com/B000LGC32Q
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

16. Partridge macrumors 6502

That one is made by boxwave and marketed as such. As for whether they're officially licensed to use the connector, I don't know.

The thing that people on this thread are more concerned about is trying yo buy an Apple Branded lightning cable and not knowing whether they're getting a counterfeit or not. The fakes come in real looking boxes as has been said, so that's not an indication.

Pay attention to the seller. If it looks at all shady, it's probably a fake. If you stick to the ones "sold by amazon" you're probably ok. "Fulfilled by amazon" is trickier, because that just means that the product is warehoused and shipped by amazon, but it is technically being sold by a third party.

17. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

I got a replacement and the new one is poifect. :) So pleased.

18. holyindian macrumors 6502

So what are the options if someone wants longer cable? The one above posted by cult of the Mac is out of stock now

19. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

20. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i bought an authentic apple lightning cable from amazon after my vacuum chewed mine up. the one i got was a real apple one, in an apple box. the key is to buy ONLY from Amazon as a seller, not a third party vendor. the $5 cables are not real. they may work, for awhile or not at all, and they are china made copies. when i bought mine, it was being sold by and shipped from amazon. it was $15-16 with amazon prime. few bucks cheaper than the apple store, but indeed genuine. if you buy a cable from "joe schmoes electronics boutique" on amazon, you will be getting a fake. only use the "sold by amazon" ones to be sure you are getting a real one. with my prime, it was delivered in one day from a local warehouse.

21. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I got this one:
    http://amzn.com/B00B1UWMIG it works but has that feeling that one day that the part that you pull out will break off.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

22. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

It's is very helpful to provide a link to the product in question. Otherwise we are in the dark.

23. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

It's not that hard. Goto amazon and search. Then find the one where amazon is the seller.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightni...id=1366083055&sr=8-1&keywords=Lightning+cable

The reviews are misleading because the morons bought a cheap knockoff, no from amazon as the seller. Then when they got burned, they typed the review under the actual correct cables sale page saying they were mislead. Just make sure the seller is indeed amazon and you should be ok.

24. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

There are many many lightning cables on amazon. It's the OPs job if he wants real help to post links. Don't be lazy.