Lightning Cables on eBay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dekema2, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

So I'm shopping for things on eBay and I know I need a few Lightning cables. Well, the ones on eBay come in packs of 10x for $10, and there are other similar bundles.

However, this seems too good to be true. They must obviously be knockoffs and if that's the case they could probably electrocute me.

Yet I tend to think they might be good because the sellers have positive ratings, but I can't tell if their cables are good enough to buy because I don't see any reviews.

Would you buy any of these? http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...lightning+.TRS0&_nkw=lightning+cable&_sacat=0

2. MetalGamer09 macrumors member

I would not use any cable other than a apple branded cable or one of a know brand name. Why? They can short out. U don't wanna short out the battery in your phone do u? I would stay far away from them

3. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

plus it is a good chance it will give you warning messages.

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Plus they could have malicious chips in them that will upload malware to your phone.

Rule of thumb for me: buy Apple or Trusted Brand from an authorized reseller. I have bought "genuine" cables from trusted eBay sellers in the past from the "Daily Deals" section and they turned out to be fake.

If you need cheap cables, OWC was having a sale the past 3 weekends where Lightning Cables were $8.88. They weren't on sale this weekend, but maybe next. Otherwise, I trust Monoprice.

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Amazon cables are not bad but they are stiffer

6. erickj macrumors regular

Hunks of junk. I bought one, lasted all of a week. I've bought a genuine Apple replacement since. But the best one I bought as a replacement has been the Amazon branded one. Really well made, heavy duty (wire casing hasn't frayed like Apple's), fully compatible. The only thing I don't care for is the over-branding of Amazon's logo in black on it.

7. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I don't like how stff it is harder to use the prone while charging it don't look at the logo it could be remove it in is offending

8. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I use the monoprice cables and they're great. They're official 'made for apple' cables, which is what you probably want to stick with. But I've had a great experience with them, and it's a good price.

9. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have bought lightning cables from Ebay, but was very careful when doing so. I bought from this seller and would buy from again. As soon as they arrived I opened them to make sure they were the real deal as he advertised. I tested all 5 that I purchased and all worked. To this day they are still working and I have never had an issue with them. Over 6 months use now.

They were not the cheapest one's for sale, but were advertised as being official Apple Lightning Cables. I have compared them to my lightning cables that came with my iPhones and can not find any differences at all. Have looked at them very carefully. If they were not the real deal I would have asked for my money back, which the seller would have been obliged to do.

All the packaging had all the correct printing on it as well and correct info. You do have to be careful. There are a lot of knock offs being sold cheaply on Ebay. Those I would not even consider. Would not take a chance with a phone that is worth close to a thousand dollars.

10. Dekema2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

I guess the old maxim "you get what you pay for" applies to this, but it doesn't apply to everything.

That's why I coughed up $11 for a cable I found from this seller to buy 1. However the deal you just showed looks pretty good if you want to stock up.