Lightning Cables=Trash

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by vra24, Jan 30, 2014.

1. vra24 macrumors member

Is it just me or are these things complete garbage. I have 3 and all 3 have turned to crap. Either some part in the connection goes bad or the wire breaks loose of the plug. I have 30 pins that are ancient. Also before anyone asked mine are apple made cables.

2. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

I'm still on my first lightning cable that I've been using for several months.

3. sixrom macrumors 6502a

Lighting cables make a lot of money for Apple. That's their first priority. All iOS cables are rather flimsy. Treated gently they'll last.

4. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I still have my original, and I still have my original 30 pin from my 5-6 year old iPod Classic

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

it depends on how you use it, the one i have in my bed that i will roll around on gets pretty beat up, but the one sitting on my desk and doesn't get tugged around is in perfect condition.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My oldest lightning cable belongs to my launch day iPad mini, and it works fine. I've had plenty of Apple dock cables and USB cables fail on me, they're not exactly built well.

7. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

8. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I got an iPod touch within the first week of it being in stores, and the cable is still in mint condition. My sister has an iPad mini and an iPod touch and both cables are again in perfect condition. All cords have been tossed around, jammed into log honing ports and USB and they are still good.

9. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

i had to replace 2 since the iPhone 5 launched

10. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

No problems with any I have. I don't baby them but I'm not abusive either i simply use them daily and have no issues.

11. wmitch macrumors regular

wmitch

Is there a better aftermarket alternative? I am definitely frustrated by the discoloration and damaged rubber that I've seen on mine.

12. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I've had my original lightning cable for 8 months and it's held up well. I'd say I'm about average when it comes to how well I treat my cables.

The Belkin cable that came with my car charger is much beefier (tougher plastic and plug housing) than the Apple cable.

13. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Have one since launch day iPhone 5, works flawlessly, both the phone and the cable :D

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

15. regkilla macrumors 6502

regkilla

No problems with my Lightning cable. You should take better care of your things!

16. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Are Apple lightning cables made by several different contract manufacturers? That could explain some of the possible difference in quality.

17. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

I used one to walk my dog and it broke. The rest have held up fine but I can't believe that it can't double as a leash.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

My two young kids aren't too gentle with their Lightning cables for their iPads and they haven't broke so I really don't know what you're doing with yours. All five Lightning cables in my household are still holding up.

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You could always try third party MFi-certified cables, like AmazonBasics lightning cables. They're a bit sturdier with thicker insulation, particularly at the connectors, and they come in different lengths. They're a little bit less expensive, too, despite being Apple certified.

I have three of the AmazonBasics cables, and three Apple lighting cables, had 'em for months now. All work fine, though if I ever need more, I'll probably go with Amazon as it makes more sense to buy the less expensive ones.

20. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I use 2 cables and 1 adapter regularly. Never had any of them replaced. 1 Lightning Cable came with iPhone 5 (pur 10/2012), the adapter was bought a day or 2 after I bought my iPhone 5, and the second cable was bought a few months ago so I didn't have to unwrap on of the ones that came with my other devices.

What I do have problems with are the EarPods. Great sounding earphones, but the right channel always goes out on me every now and then. Some have lasted me months, others only a week or two. I don't abuse them either.

21. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i picked this up off of groupon not too long ago, and it is much thicker than the cord that apple makes, also a 10 foot long option so you can go anywhere with it.
    http://us.jivotechnology.com/-lightning/jivo-lightning-to-usb-cablecharger

22. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Lightning Cables=Trash

Lightning cables charge your iPhone which has a battery that will die. You need a cable to charge it. Take care of the cable and it will last for a very long time. Do not rest the phone on the plug at an angle or it will break over time. I have never broke a cable before.

I recommend this one that has a lifetime warranty:
    Tech Armor Apple Certified Lighting Cable - 6 Feet- White - Lightni... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZ0J74W/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_.m26sb0YGC7HF

23. 617aircav Suspended

They are of very low quality. I've learned to baby them.

24. Jstuts5797 macrumors 6502a

After only having one for two months mine gave out. Luckily it's still covered by apple and a new one is on the way. I've taken very good care of this cable. Never traveled with it. Always in the same spot, nice and flat and safe. I've had similar although not quite as bad issues with the old ones as well. I ended up buying a $1 one once at a gas station.. I bought it because I noticed that the casing around the cables inside was made of much harder plastic. Almost like that of a PS3 charger cable. That $1 cable has been the best, longest lasting cable I've ever used for any of my apple devices. If the casing around the cables would just be a bit thicker and harder I'm sure Apples cables would last longer.

25. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

My griffin tech one is pretty stout.