Lightning cables working with 5 not 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by gstevie, Oct 10, 2013.

1. gstevie macrumors 6502

gstevie

So I bought a few lightning cables last month before the 5s came out and they were working great with iOS 7 and seem to be still working fine with my iPhone 5 with the latest iOS 7 update. Problem I have is that they seem not to work with my 5s. I have them both sitting side by side and taking the cable from the 5 which is charging great with no warnings to the 5s and up pops the not compatible message and no charging.

So my first question is: does the 5s actually have a different lightning dock that will pick up 3rd party lighting cables and not allow them to work? 2nd question: is there anywhere UK wise that have lightning cables that will work with the 5s at a reasonable price to pick up a few that have been tried to make sure they work?

Now I know there is the argument that buying a phone at that price then whats £15 when it comes to charging it. But really there is no need for it to be that price and when you want a few (like I do) car, work and spare ect that £15 each time mounts up pretty quick and its always good to have a few handy.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

You are not alone.
    There are a few threads about cables that work on the 5 with iOS 7, both with and without the warning, but not on the 5S.
    Whatever it is -- the 5S is definitely more picky.

3. gstevie thread starter macrumors 6502

gstevie

To me it's just funny that the 5 is fine but not the 5s. You would think that if they wanted to disable it they would just firmware patch the 5 with iOS 7 to make them the same.

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

AmazonBasics USB A to Lightning Compatible Cable for iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad mini, iPod nano 7 and iPod 5 3 Feet / 0.9 m
    Or just search lightning cable on amazon.

5. gstevie thread starter macrumors 6502

gstevie

Searching for a lightning cable on Amazon is about as good as eBay. U take the risk that they are the same cheap knockoffs that will not work correctly with the 5s like I said above. I'm sure the official Amazon one would be the best bet but it does not exactly look case friendly like the others!

6. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

It's not...

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I got a few cables off of amazon. Worked great with my iPhone 5 on iOS 7 for as long as I had it. My sister got a new iPhone 5 late September. When she came home and went to charge using my cable, her iPhone 5 disabled the cable from working ever again. I know this's because that same cable will not charge my iPhone 5. Contacted the company and they are sending replacements.

Chargers For The iPhone 5 5S 5C - iPad - iPad Mini - iPod Touch - Lightning to USB Cable 8 Pin Cord Adapter Wire
    http://amzn.com/B00ENO02GQ

8. ABC5S macrumors 68040

9 out of 10 first reviewers using current date on down are not good at all for the charger. Me thinks I would give it a pass.....

9. hhd_wild macrumors newbie

I purchased one of these generic cables a week ago and received it earlier today. After several usages, the cable completely broke apart. This is why everyone should always buy OEM apple chargers and cables. [​IMG]

10. Kimball macrumors regular

Ive got 3 cables from dx.com and they've served me well this last year without showing any wear on them.

11. Eric5964 macrumors regular

Eric5964

I took advice and bought Monoprice cables. They are sturdy, reasonably priced, and work flawlessly without error messages on the 5s.

EricE