Lightning Connector on other devices

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OneZweiThree, Oct 8, 2015.

1. OneZweiThree macrumors regular

So the iPhones are obviously the only phones with the lightning connector.
    But since accessory makers can license the connector and are allowed to build devices with male and female lightning connectors, would it be possible for another phone maker to actually build and sell a phone with the lightning connector?

The reason I ask is, starting in 2017, the EU wants to set new rules, that every smartphone has to come with a unified (possibly USB) connector for charging.
    And if Apple would allow others to adopt lightning, maybe this could become the "unified connector".

Would like to hear your opinions on that.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I think all devices will be heading to USB-C in the next few years. In the mean time Apple will have to offer an adapter to stay within EU requirements

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I like the Lightning connector. It has a reassuring click and neither my i5 nor my 6+ showed any wear to the port. All of my partner's Android devices however get loose USB ports as it's a weak system. My Android tablet has an iffy connector too and I'm always really careful when connecting.

4. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

A USB-C adapter, that is indeed likely to be the policy. Not that I will use it much. Although; a USB-C to lightning cable, an official one that is, would be useful for retina MacBook users.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Agreed. Lightning connector is my favorite so far. I have never had even the smallest problem with it

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I can not see Apple's lightning connector being the new standard.

7. OneZweiThree thread starter macrumors regular

I guess this could be true, but seeing Apples recent push of lightning (ATV Remote, Beats Pill+) and also the slimmer profile of lightning, I could see Apple wanting to keep lightning.

8. CaCHooKa Man macrumors member

CaCHooKa Man

USB-C will be the future worldwide standard, not lightning