Lightning Connector's not USB 3?!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Hexley, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Hexley macrumors 6502a

Other than changing the shape of the new dock connector from 30 pin to a 8 pin it is still a USB 2 (~35MB/s) connector.

With all their 2012 Macs on USB 3 (~350MB/s) why didn't they instead upgrade the new dock connector to this standard? It would've mean faster sync speeds by a factor of 10x and more bus power for more rapid charging.

To put it in perspective a 64GB iPhone would take around 30 mins to fill up with USB 2 but with USB 3 it should take around 3 mins to complete. This is assuming the HDDs are fast enough to sustain ~350MB/s.

My point is make it worth the while of the customers to go through the hassles.

Unless of course they are using rather slow flash memory that will expose Apple to being told they're cheapening out on their flash memory speed.

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Because the NAND flash in the phone can't be written to faster than about 20MB/ps

Something to keep in mind is that the iPhone only uses a single NAND chip. It is not like an SSD which uses 8 or more chips simultaneously. Giving the iPhone 5 USB 3.0 support thus wouldn't have increased speeds at all.

By the way USB 2.0 is capable of 60MB/ps not 35.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

I thought I read somewhere that the flash wasn't fast enough, but I can't find the article where I read that.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like a USB 3 iPhone, but other than when I first get a new iPhone and its restoring, I don't sync GB of data so the current sync speed isn't a pain point. I usually sync over wifi anyways.

4. Hexley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Show me a benchmark that demonstrates this. Actual transfer rate is is more on 35MB/s than 60MB/s.

USB 2 is spec'd to the theoretical 60MB/s (480Mb/s without overhead) but in practice 35MB/s.

USB 2 is good enough to rival FW400.

So it is the flash memory then.

5. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

I wonder how happy you would be to pay the extra?