Lightning Damage? GREEN PIXELS everywhere.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TheReef, Dec 7, 2007.

1. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

After a thunderstorm yesterday, I turned on my Sawtooth PowerMac G4 to find my screen having specs on it. Certain UI elements would have green coloured pixels in them (such as the traffic light buttons at the top left of every window). When I move a window, the unwanted pixels remain. It is most noticeable in quicklook where black squares appears on folders, and green specs on images. I ran AOE 3 (note I don't play it on this old machine :eek:) and the green and black would be in larger squares, and would wrap around the 3D objects.

If I take a screenshot, the pixels aren't visible when viewed on another computer. I changed the monitor, but it still remains.

It sounds as though my computer has lightning damage (er I have no surge protector), are my hard disks at risk of failure if I continue to use the machine? Can I do anything to fix the graphics card (it's an ATI 9000 PRO).

Any input would be appreciated :)

Attached Files:

2. deathshrub macrumors 6502

You can replace it. However there may be other problems inside your computer and this may not solve the problem.

I'd recommend buying a surge protector with a warranty.