Lightning dock : iPhone sides static / electrical to the touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daffie, Nov 26, 2016.

1. daffie macrumors regular

daffie

Does anyone experience the sides of their iPhone being static / electrical to the touch when set on the lightning dock?

The charger is connected to grounded outlet. I get this buzzing feeling with both the original charger and 12W iPad charger.

Not sure if this is harmful to the phone or not. It definitively doesn't seem normal as charging the phone connected directly to the cable doesn't have this issue.

Any input would be appreciated. Cheers!

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

This electric feeling has been reported many times. I have felt it when playing with the phones at the Apple Store. Like a buzzing feeling as you run you finger lightly on the edge.

3. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

It's because the adapter being used is not grounded and so the voltage of any exposed metal parts will rise above 0V. Type "ungrounded tingle" into a search engine and you will get 1000's of hits.

4. daffie thread starter macrumors regular

daffie

Cheers for the info. So if I understand correctly it's due to the charger/adapter only having 2 prongs instead of an additional one for earth/grounding?

Not harmful neither then I reckon?

5. 537635 macrumors 6502

But it's annoying.

Option 1: Use a 12W charger, but connect it via a Macbook grounded cable.

Option 2: Get a Jet Black. Apparently doesn't have this issue.

6. daffie thread starter macrumors regular

daffie

Cheers for the help.

Slightly annoying indeed but as long as it's not an issue for the phone then I'm fine with it.

I have the 256gb jet black version and already use the 12w iPad charger. Don't have a MacBook cable though.

7. 537635 macrumors 6502

Weird. Had a silver 6S Plus and with a non-grounded charger there was static. I didn't notice it on the JB.

And there definitely isn't any static when I charge with a grounded charger or via Macbook.

8. daffie thread starter macrumors regular

daffie

Strange indeed. I strongly suspect the dock though as I don't get the static when using just the cable instead.

9. 537635 macrumors 6502

Oh, missed that, sorry. Finish on the dock is different than on the phone, right?

Give it a try with a grounded charger. Nowadays you can get the cable from Apple for $19, since they don't ship it with the Macbooks anymore (and static is highly annoying on a large laptop ).

10. daffie thread starter macrumors regular

daffie

It's the official apple lightning dock and indeed has a different finish on it. Still the phone doesn't touch the dock itself, it sits directly on the lightning connector. But maybe internally the connector makes some sort of touch with the housing of the dock.

Anyway thanks again.

11. 537635 macrumors 6502

I think the problem is, because there is a "ground" lead on the Lightning connector, but ultimately goes nowhere and there is an electric charge buildup on all "grounded" metal parts.

At least this is how I understand it. Maybe somebody with more technical knowledge can elaborate.

12. daffie thread starter macrumors regular

daffie

Would be great if anybody with some more technical knowledge could step in as well.

Most important for me is to know whether the static could be harmful in any way to the phone (or battery).

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

A high enough static charge could be harmful to the phone. It very unlikely that a high enough static charge would build up on the phone. You could install a grounding trap to the dock itself. It would look like hell but it would drain off any static buildup.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 26, 2016 ---
    Or get one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G...X236_SY340_QL65&keywords=grounded+12w+charger

14. daffie thread starter macrumors regular

daffie

Well I have decided to return the dock. Not satisfied the extra static won't hurt the phone and I feel it's better to be safe than sorry. It's just not worth it with a mobile device of Eur 1.100.

15. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

It's the unicorn tears shorting out.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

T
    This is not a static charge. A static charge would discharge with a single touch. This is like a ungrounded voltage leak that you can feel as you move you finger across the metal surfaces of the device. Not the first time I have felt it.

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I've never felt it. I must be insulated very well.

18. daffie thread starter macrumors regular

daffie

That's exactly it. Doesn't feel right to me.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Interesting the Jet Black doesn't suffer from this issue.

20. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

If a metal sheathed device, without a ground, suffers an internal electrical short, the device becomes live. Not noticeable when wearing rubber soles, a possible hazard, especially to children and elderly, exists. Talk to someone more knowledgeable, but I believe plastic shrouded devices to be non lethal. ( Refrigerators in some Asian countries, where grounding may be rare, are often assassins. )

21. 537635 macrumors 6502

Interesting. Does this vary with exterior material, skin quality (dry, wet...) or some environmental factors (dry air, moist air)?

22. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Needs to be one of the metal, conductive, edges of the device. It is not a shocking feeling but more of a vibrating feeling as you finger moves slowly along the edge.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 27, 2016 ---
    I do not think it IS right, but not sure if it will hurt the device. My phone does not exhibit this but then I do not use the dock. I did notice several of the iPhones at the Apple Store that were doing this and have noticed this at other times not related to our phones.