Lightning EarPods Are Actually Decent, Noticeable Improvement Over 3.5mm Version

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MICHAELSD, May 27, 2017.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I'm genuinely surprised at how much I like the Lightning EarPods that ship with iPhone 7 & 7 Plus. While I don't have the 3.5mm EarPods anymore to directly compare them to, the difference in sound ranges from noticeable to substantial. There's no cable noise, the connection to the phone is as tight as ever (these won't come out by accident), and overall it's a much better experience. They feel solid.

Overall, the sound is purer which may be attributable to the digital nature of the Lightning port. With a proper fit contoured in the ear canal, bass is punchier and the soundstage is more open. They're really quite decent for podcasts and even casual music listening. I very much prefer them to the older 3.5mm model, and after looking at reviews on Apple.com I found that other people also noticed significant improvements.

Even if you have an older iPhone with a headphone port, the Lightning EarPods may just be a better value than the AirPods and almost a worthwhile upgrade over the 3.5mm EarPods if purchased separately for an older device.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

There are times that I still prefer the wired Earpods even over my Airpods. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. To me, it depends on what I'm doing that I can actually use the EarPods. But as far as comfortability and fit go between the AirPods and EarPods, they both fit very well in my ear. I would agree that the sound is fairly similar to the AirPods.

The latest iOS update (3.7.2) for the AirPods actually improved the treble/bass and overall volume according to recent reports. I don't know that to be certain, but I can also tell a difference as well. So I do think the AirPods have an advantage that the software updates can actually tune the audio. And in the latest update, they actually do sound much better.

Actually, what surprises me the most, Is how popular an Of item the wired EarPods are for sale on eBay. Those sell so fast and there are a lot of individuals who generally want those. I still see the relevance with the EarPods that Apple includes them, but there will be a day where they won't be included anymore with the iPhone as the AirPods continue to expand.