Lightning extended charging cable

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cstheman, Oct 14, 2012.

1. cstheman macrumors newbie

Does anyone know when apple might start selling a extended lightning USB charging cable for the iPhone 5? Getting kind of tired of holding my new iPhone 5 near a power outlet

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Buy yourself a USB extension cable, female on one side and male on the other side, cheapest way.

3. lookn4wifi macrumors regular

lookn4wifi

Looking for one too. I keep forgetting its plugged in on the night stand as the phone get ripped out if my hand when I reach over to grab it.

4. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

This.

5. james92se macrumors 6502a

Do you have a link for a reliable one? I was using one of these a year or two ago, just a super cheap one I found on Amazon, and it charged sooooo slow and then one day just completely stopped working.

6. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Best solution to the short lightening cable.

7. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

This link may help...

I was wondering the same thing. I'm looking at a couple of extenders @

http://www.cablestogo.com/product_list.asp?cat_id=1531

I've gotten a couple of other cables from them before and they're pretty good.

Update...wrong page but right site. Cablestogo is a good site.

Sorry

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Sorry, no.:eek:

I myself bought a 2 X 5 meter powered ones on dealextreme to put a wireless USB dongle outside, really solid ones but took 3 weeks to arrive.
    Monoprice seems to be good, cheap and good quality.

USB cable length is max. 5 meters, to be on the safe side don't go over 3-4 meters.(As an extension cord for the lightning cable)

9. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I have a 2 meter USB extension that I bought on eBay ... Works like a champ!

10. cstheman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info! Thank you everybody for your advice :):):)

11. CatsTide macrumors 6502

was my link invisible?

12. james92se macrumors 6502a

Lol actually it somewhat is!

I'm using the mobile site from my phone and the blue (indicating a hyperlink) on "these" in your post is barely visible. When I first read through the thread I just figured you meant to post a URL or picture and didnt. Then just a minute or two ago I saw somebody quoted your post and the "these" in the quote is bold and scrolled back up to see you did hyperlink but that it's barely noticeable. :( and now I already ordered the Amazon one

13. cstheman thread starter macrumors newbie

14. CatsTide macrumors 6502

May be but they are way over priced.

15. Furifo macrumors 6502

The lightning wire reaches my nightstand but not my bed when I'm lying down so if I have a totally flat battery, I can't use my phone lying down because of the need to plug it in.

Would this work for extending the lightning cable?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasic...UU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1350230714&sr=8-11

Incidentally, how would this affect charging times? I'm not too fussed as this is to be used for an overnight charge (7-8 hours most nights) but I'm curious. I suspect charging times will be increased?

16. ZachPA macrumors newbie

I've heard from some people that these USB extension cords can affect the battery life eventually. Is this true? Thanks.

17. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I love you. The shortness of the lightning cable has been bugging me.. didn't even think about a USB extender.. I had one laying in a drawer.. probably been there 2 years. :D

18. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

19. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Just buy a $1-2 USB extension cable.

20. Surfnat3mbps macrumors newbie

Surfnat3mbps

It's important to note that though this will work, not only will you have connection issues and signal loss over a usb connection approaching or beyond 5 meters, but any extra connections within that cable will also diminish connection quality. Your best bet is to do a search on Amazon or any other favorite online vendor for extended length lightning cable. I've seen them in 15' lengths and by eliminating the extra connection in the cable you should have no issues using it for whatever you need to do with it. Also remember you get what you pay for. Apple does a good enough job supplying us with lightning cables of questionable durability, and with it being their newest connection type it'll probably be around for a while. So don't be afraid to get one that will last. Many high quality cables will actually long outlive your device.

I recommend at a minimum a braided cable such as this https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Tr...=8-1&keywords=Extended+length+lightning+cable and find that 10' is usually more than adequate.

21. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

Anker is by far the best brand I've used for iPhone wires. They have sizes put to 6 and 10 feet.