Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThirtyThr33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Boulder, Colorado
Hey MR,

So I got my new :apple: MBP about a week ago (15"-2.0-2011-500gb/5krpm) and I have LOVED the snappiness I have seen thus far when using it. HOWEVER I just downloaded a neat little app called "Download Songs" off the app store and all of the sudden I feel like I'm using my old crappy Acer :eek: again (even though the description claims its a lite program). I got a few beachballs, the apps take way longer to close, new apps take longer to open etc. I don't know how to go about this so here are my questions:

1) Do you think it's the app or do I just need to restart er something of that nature?

2) How do I go about sluggish performance? (If i was using windows I'd just CTL,ALT& DEL to use task manager but I don't know what the :apple: equivalent is)

ThirtyThr33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Boulder, Colorado
*Activity Monitor

(normally i wouldn't correct but he/she implied they're new to OSX...)

I figured it out but thanks, I'm pretty tech savvy believe it or not on a PC but I'm still getting warmed up to Macs

Check Activity Viewer and identify what is eating up processor time.

I did, not much seems to be eating up memory. It says its ~99% idle *shrug*

tallchris

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
I figured it out but thanks, I'm pretty tech savvy believe it or not on a PC but I'm still getting warmed up to Macs

I did, not much seems to be eating up memory. It says its ~99% idle *shrug*

Is that 99% idle on CPU or system memory?

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Activity monitor screenshot please.

I think the activity viewer thing was because the guy is using OS X in a different language.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
I reckon its the 5400rpm disk you're having which is making things slower(it slows down exponentially when you have more apps installed.). You should have gone for the 7200rpm option or an SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.