Lightning Noise-Cancelling Headphones--where are they; when will they come?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by rhyzome, Jan 13, 2016.

1. rhyzome macrumors regular

Recent articles (including http://www.macrumors.com/2016/01/07/iphone-7-thinner-waterproof-no-headphone-jack/) have raised the prospect that lightning will be the main audio option for iOS devices. Lightning allows not only digital transmission of audio from the device to the connected speakers, but also of power and information, potentially information from the speakers back to the iOS device, if I'm not mistaken.

That seems to (as discussed in the article) be very friendly to making noise cancelling headphones. And if much of the cost in expensive noise-cancelling headphones is in the components of the battery and processor, noise cancelling headphones using lightning should be cheaper (or shift their value to other components like mic and speaker quality and design, etc) since the iOS device's battery and processor can power the headphones.

The question is (as lightening has been around for so long) where are these wonderful headphones!? And when will they come?

(I know there is that philips one, but who knows about how that compares to Bose's NC performance, and I'd like something a little more compact a la the QC20)

Discuss!

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The Fidelio NC1L headphones that were released a year ago seem to be the only ones available so far.
    Maybe there isn't a massive demand for headphones with a proprietary connecter that only work with iOS devices while the option of using the universal 3.5mm jack is still there?

3. rhyzome thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, the Fidelio's are the only ones I'm aware of. Wish there were a portable version.

That's true about proprietary connectors. However, I do have a hard time putting all my faith in the idea of lack of demand given it seems that everyone and their dog has an iOS device. Accessory manufacturers would be foolish to ignore such a market. I suppose you're right many iPhone users still don't like the idea of having to use multiple headphones with multiple wires (I am not sure how I am going to deal with the transition in the short term...)...of course I could imagine after a transition has occurred, all of the headphones will have digital connectors. Gah.