Lightning plug strong enough for headphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cyberone, May 17, 2016.

1. cyberone macrumors regular

In the market for nice, serious headphones.

With rumors all but confirming that the old, 3.5mm headphone jack (an invention of the 19th century!), is on its way out, there are several options:
    • Not to worry, there are always new things. Just buy the headphone now and use an adapter later.
    • Wait with buying, because an adapter is troublesome.
    I tend to favor option two, even though I have trouble believing that the Lightning port will do. I mean you carry those phones in your pocket. The old jack is strong. Not the Lightning port.

Your take?

2. 960design macrumors 68000

Wait on the headphones. I suspect (hope) the DAC may be included in the new 8-pin headphones, creating a significant sound difference between high end and low end sound quality.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

What makes you believe the Lightning port or jack is not as strong as the current 3.5mm standard? I'm not much of a proponent for the loss of the 3.5mm jack, but the structural integrity (if I am understanding your concern correctly) isn't even on my radar as a potential issue.

4. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

What's on your list of concerns?

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I don't see how it differs from pulling it in and out of a dock, using the wire with a charger in your car, a computer, the wall, etc multiple times a day everyday.

Have a hard time pulling the damn thing out of my devices sometimes even.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

My major concern is that we are taking a standard and making it proprietary. I haven't been presented a good reason why this step benefits the average user other than "all technology evolves", which is fine, but all this is doing is, at minimum, forcing me to use an adapter.

The next iPhone is not looking like something that will be worth my money coming from an iPhone 6s Plus based on the rumors we have seen. But if we see that model itch the 3.5mm port, I am sure the subsequent releases will follow suit. I am far more likely to go with Bluetooth buds at that point, but my needs in headphones are in the gym and while biking. I haven't found any that I'm in love with currently, but the multiple companies developing wireless buds are showing some promising products set to release in the next year or two.

7. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

DAC yes, but isn't listening to audio always analog by default? So what are the DAC real world gains?