iPhone X lightning port: does it scratch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nicolas4ever, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

Hello everyone!!

I finally ordered my iPhone X (yes..after all the hype, although i wasn't even planning on upgrading but oh well.) and me and my serious OCD have a question for the scratch resistance of the iPhone X Space Gray.

I mean i'm really careful and i don't really worry about the stainless steel coating peeling off, but plugging and unplugging the lightning cable, will it scratch the lightning port and reveal the "real" stainless steel color or it is fairly scratch resistant? I mean i plan on having a wireless charger but there will be times where the cable will be my solution and would like to know before.

any photos would be highly appreciated

(i had an iPhone 7 matte black before and noticed some slight chipping a year later, but that was a different material and even color)

2. TechNismo macrumors 6502

TechNismo

Used a flash light and took a look. There are like very small scuffs/scratches which you can barely see (tired taking a picture but you can't see it).
    However, the sim ejection tool can scratch the stainless steel band of the X and leave a noticeable mark. Happened to me when i was inserting the sim, as the took slipped and with very little force a scratch came.

3. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

I plug my lightening cable in all the time. No wireless charging. Also, the dongle for headphones. No issues----

4. Ta0jin macrumors 6502a

Ta0jin

I wirelessly charge so I haven’t tested that out yet

5. Nicolas4ever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

Thank you for the quick feedback!! i think that plugging gently will prevent from scratching the port's "ring"

6. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

No scratches. Plug in all the time various plugs, car, house, and at work. I don't see any scratches with naked eye.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Yes, it can scratch. If you’re Using caution, it shouldn’t be an issue.

8. Nicolas4ever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

yea i guess that's an important factor. Ofcourse if you just plug it in without even looking, you will end up scratching the surface

9. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

No scratches yet for me. Launch day phone. I'm also careful when plugging in. Silver color.