Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
my iPhone 6s had AppleCare but this has now lapsed due to its age. I did get the battery replaced in December and I notice that this has extended the warranty by a year.

My problem is that the lightning port is so worn that cables no longer make a proper connection as it is so loose. This means even though I plug it in it sometimes does not charge.

Is it worth making a genius appointment? What is the likely outcome? The store is a bit too far away to make the trip on a whim.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Blow out the port with compressed air & peer inside it with a magnifying glass to ensure there's no lint clogging it up. Try using a brand new Apple lightning cable.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Definitely worth giving it a clean either with some air or carefully with something like a cocktail stick. I had similar issues with my old 5S and cleaned it out and was fine after that.

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I have had a good dig around in there and also blown it out with canned air but nothing has changed.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You need the Lightning port replaced, which involves replacing the Lightning flex cable. This is a common, quick and cheap job done by many repair shops. The Apple Store will only replace the entire phone and charge you substantially for it.

jakeuten

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota
As someone who repairs smartphones, take a SIM ejector tool to it, but be sure to power the phone down. Some people here may say not to, but anyone in the industry (and Apple geniuses as well) uses a SIM ejector tool and scrapes out the lint. I did 2 today in fact. I've probably done 500 without issue...

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
As someone who repairs smartphones, take a SIM ejector tool to it, but be sure to power the phone down. Some people here may say not to, but anyone in the industry (and Apple geniuses as well) uses a SIM ejector tool and scrapes out the lint. I did 2 today in fact. I've probably done 500 without issue...

This.

I'm sure there is more gunk in it. Sometimes you think there isn't any more but with enough scraping usually the neighbour's dog comes out.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

This is very bad advice - don't go poking a metal object into a port. Use something non-conductive - like a toothpick.

If you accidentally turn the phone on while doing this you could find yourself shorting it out.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

osta.doc

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2016
A flat style wooden toothpick works well. I’ve dug out pocket lint many times when the connection was “wobbly”, and it’s fixed the issue “every” time.

But, it’s possible that your problem could be something else.

jakeuten

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota
This is very bad advice - don't go poking a metal object into a port. Use something non-conductive - like a toothpick.

If you accidentally turn the phone on while doing this you could find yourself shorting it out.
I've done hundreds of charge ports with a SIM ejector. Never damaged a single one. YMMV.

Reactions: Lekro

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
After reading this, I took a thumb tack and scrapped the bottom of the port, while avoiding the metal contacts on the sides (phone was off). The stuff that came out of this thing was gross to say the least.
Anyway, port works like new, saved money and time. Thanks!

Reactions: I7guy and Lekro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.