Lightning splitter of any kind for charging + audio

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Adoniram, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Adoniram macrumors newbie

Adoniram

Does anyone know of a lightning splitter cable that will allow for simultaneous charging and listening to music? (Thanks Apple! Very courageous!)

I saw Belkin plans to make one, but it's $40 which is ABSURD. I guess they assume we'll pay anything just because we're willing to buy a brand new iPhone... which is nearly correct, but whatever. Point being: This can't be the first time someone has made one of these, right?

I could use:
    Male lightning >> 2x female lightning
    Male lightning >> 1x female lightning, 1x 3.5mm
    Male lightning >> 1x micro USB, 1x 3.5mm

But I'm coming up empty...

Thanks for any tips.

2. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

Ditto. My car only has an audio cable in and I use it along with a standard Cig Charger/USB>Lightning cable to both charge my phone and also play audio.

I need a "Male lightning >> 1x female lightning, 1x 3.5mm"

Where the heck are these accessories? It's not like this is the first time they would have come in handy.

The only real option I have found is a Lightning to 30 pin adapter paired with a 30 pin to USB/Audio cable such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7T0J9U/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1BW2UQ6MS8HPD

Kind of a messy solution though.

3. Adoniram thread starter macrumors newbie

Adoniram

Yeah I mentioned that one... $40 is crazy for a simple dongle. Which I don't think should even be necessary but that's another story...

4. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

For people needing something like this for their car, use this,

http://www.scosche.com/iphone-7-car-charger

It will charge and play music at the same time.

Just incase because some people still don't know about this, if you car has a USB port, it can play music directly via the USB lightning cable. You don't need an AUX for it.

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

That depends entirely on the car, a lot may have a USB port for power only unless an optional entertainment system is specced. If it's under 2 years old it's a fairly safe bet though.

I'm still looking for a simple Lightning to 3.5mm and Power adaptor for my in car use, closest I've found is one of two products by Griffin, either the iTrip Aux or iTrip Aux BT which admittedly would still need a way of charging the phone, but is a nice simple way to add BT input to a car that doesn't have it. The iTrip Aux seems a little hard to get hold of too.

6. wborisenok macrumors 6502

wborisenok

I'm actually hoping for a black version of Apple's included dongle. I'm sure a third party will make one in the coming few weeks. Belkin's $40 is absolute BS. I tweeted at them last night saying that they were literally CAPITALIZING on Apple's screw up and laughing all the way to the bank.

7. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

You don't need an optional entertainment system. Cars as old as base 2012 civics can connect to iPhone via USB. I once rented a Nissan versa note from hertz couple of years, it was a 2013 or 2014 model and even that could play music on iPhone through USB. And that's a 10-12k car at best. Almost any car made in last few years can play songs through USB with iPhones. My 2014 BMW wouldn't do it because it didn't have iDrive, however my little sister's 2014 corolla can do it just fine.

8. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

9. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Your point was going well until you brought up pretty much the exact car I was referencing. BMW's base system might have a USB, but it won't actually work without an upgrade.

Also, 2012 isn't that long ago, people still regularly drive cars that are 10 years old, I mean I do, and it doesn't really feel that old, but it doesn't have a USB port at all, and the ones that did needed a Y-Cable until BMW finally supported it properly with the later iDrive.

I was merely pointing out that your blanket statement was false.

10. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Yeah that's why is said most cars .Cars didn't have USB too long back anyways. But that's on BMW that they don't offer the features available on cars that cost 1/3rd of their cars. Come on I mean a Nissan Versa Note does it, why can't a BMW do it.

But I was merely saying that if it has an USB port, it most likely can play music on the iPhone, i just didn't word it properly and a LOT of people don't know about this and still use AUX.

11. Weiser878 macrumors regular

If your main concern is in the car, I bought an Anchor bluetooth adaptor. It plus into a USB for power and into the aux port for audio. Connects super fast and still has good bass response. It was $12 on Amazon