Lightning struck house...now magsafe wont light up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taco2004, Dec 28, 2007.

1. taco2004 macrumors member

I have a 17" Macbook pro and the other day lightning stuck a tree right next to my house and came inside the house. The magsafe adapter will not light up anymore or charge my mbp. The lightning strike also knocked out my router and cell phone charger. So do you guys think the adapter is bad or something like the power supply in the notebook is messed up???

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The MagSafe PS is likely toasted, particularly if it was on an unprotected circuit. The only way to verify this is to take the PS and MBP to either an Apple Store, an Apple reseller, or a friend that has a MBP and test your now suspect items agains known good equipment.

Ideally, the MagSafe took the hit and gave itself up to save the expensive equipment on the other side, but you will have to test to verify.

3. taco2004 thread starter macrumors member

Thats what I would love to do but the closest apple reseller or store is like 4+ hours away. Also I do not know anyone with a MBP. So I think I am gonna by a new Magsafe PS from Apple and see if that works. If that does not work then I will probably send it off to get it fixed. The MBP still works but it just wont charge.

4. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If the MBP still powers up and runs fine on battery, then it's almost certainly just the MagSafe.

Also, as has been already mentioned, definitely get some decent protection for all that gear. APC makes outstanding equipment, don't cheap out on just a power strip with a fuse.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yup you need to get a battery backup/ surge protecter.

You have the additional benefit of when the power is out, you will still have internet.

I have battery backup on all equipment that is worth something.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Maybe, maybe not, depending on the cause and scope of the power outage. Besides, the only purpose of UPS systems is to allow for a graceful shutdown of all the protected gear, not continued use. Get a generator for that.

I once had a client bitch about their UPS beeping all the time. Turns out she had a laser printer powered through the UPS...

8. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Sounds like the OP could use a UPS for the whole house. With a Generator to backup the UPS. Power outages and dirty power would be a thing of the past...

Note the UPS linked isn't a residential UPS per se, you would probably be best off contacting the manufacturer of a generator to get a matching battery bank system that would complement the chosen generator. Oh, and LP/NG generators are the best.

9. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Uhh... I think thats a little overkill, dont you? Just protect the equipment, there is no pressing need to keep the computers, tv, toaster, washer, dryer all running during a blackout. As someone said, a graceful shutdown on the computers and then a nice spooky story by candlelight. No one really needs 24/7 uptime in their home unless they are on life support in which case...you get the idea.

Spec. the UPS to allow a graceful shutdown and to protect the equipment.

10. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

For most it probably is overkill. But if you live in a location prone to power outages for more than a couple of hours it can be well worth it. My house is a good example. With well water and septic no electricty means no water and my sewage pump stops working. So in my case if I am getting a generator I might as well see if I can get a UPS for the whole house to help the transition period as well.

11. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Just call Apple up and see if they will send you a new one out. They are oddly generous surrounding customer care. I had a problem with my iPod and there was a UPS van around my house in about 45 minutes to have it sent away... I had a new one in days.

If you just bought the MBP they may well just send a new cable your way and take the old one off your hands.

12. katorga macrumors regular

Ups

I have my cable modem, airport and airport disk on a UPS. They can run around 7 hours on the UPS battery. Sadly, the model I have beeps when on battery and for the life of me, I cannot get it to stop. It is so annoying I usually power it off when the power goes out. Lot of good it does me.

Laptops are on a surge protector and rely on their own batteries when juice is gone.