Lightning to 3.5mm (not the way you think)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric8199, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2009
    So I've discovered in my first day at work that I am not so annoyed with my iPhone 7+ not having a headphone jack as I am with my Mac not having a lightning port. I use my headphones to talk on my phone all the time (I'm a journalist so I'm on the phone a lot), and I'll often pull the headphones out of my phone and plug them into my Mac when I need to listen to audio. Can't do that now.

I guess I could just use the regular headphones and the lightning adapter, but my headphones are all shot and I had avoided buying new ones because of the impending change. So I wonder, is there a lightning female port to 3.5mm male port adapter out there, so I can plug my lightning earpods into my Mac?
  2. blondkayvon macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2016
    I'm actually having this same issue as well. I've put off buying new headphones because I knew I'd be getting an iPhone 7, but I didn't really think about the fact that there's no adapter for lightning -> 3.5mm for my MacBook.
  3. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Oct 26, 2008
    I've had the same thought. I've always used the supplied headphones with my Mac and I don't want to buy another set just for that use.
  4. firewire9000 macrumors regular

Sep 15, 2015
    It's absurd that the same company's earbuds don't work across all devices.

That's why Apple made the AirPods, they sincronize automatically between devices.
  5. redman042 macrumors 68030

Jun 13, 2008
    Time to go all-in on bluetooth headphones. You can find good deals on Amazon. Doesn't seem to be any other good solution.

My car only takes aux input through a headphone jack, and my phone dash mount has a built-in lightning port for charging (therefore no easy way to plug in the Apple headphone adapter). I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a car audio bluetooth adapter to solve this issue.