Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter 0.2 cable version

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by psychonaut, Oct 15, 2012.

1. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

I can post some pictures later to show you all what I am talking about below, but some potential bad news for some of you.

The Lightning to 30-pin Adapter 0.2 (the one with cable attached) by Apple has a slightly larger connector around the the lightning portion of the cable vs. the lightning to USB cable.

This may create issues for some of you with accessories or cases that have small lightning port openings.

Thankfully I think this will not impact too many cases based on my initial tests however one very popular case - SwitchEasy Tones does not work with the cable as the cutout is just too small.

More to come...

2. AnthonySager macrumors member

Had this issue with my switcheasy case and the adapter. Just take a Dremel lightly to the adapter and it works perfectly. It's not a huge difference so you do not need to take off much.

3. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Dremeling the case might be a better choice and look better than dremeling the adapter.

I thought I might have to dremel my Slider but it barely fit by a hair!

4. tantric132 macrumors newbie

5. benh911f macrumors 6502

Yep, unfortunately I just experienced it firsthand. Have the Switcheasy Tones case, and after hearing the Lightning to 30 Pin adapter wouldn't fit with cases, I go the Lightning to 30 Pin cable. Got it in the mail today and it wouldn't fit. I'm not the handiest person, so would a novice like me have any issues with the dremel?

6. KojiH macrumors 6502

The adapter fit my Monoprice bumper just fine. No mods needed.

[​IMG]

7. AnthonySager macrumors member

Why would you Dremel your case and have to carry around a Frankenstein all the time when you could just do the adapter. It's not noticeable if you do it right ad everyone with an i5 can use it.

8. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Why? Because taking a dremel to the Apple adapter will void the 1 year warranty on a $39 product.

9. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Anyone know if this adapter works with Diztronic case?

10. AnthonySager macrumors member

You sir have no faith in your modding skills. If you can't dremel a simple adapter (which is cake) how do expect to mod your case to make it work without completely damaging it.

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Check out this too:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20032592#20032592

Very disappointing.

12. Meatwad macrumors newbie

That blows. I was just about to order that because the adapter I got won't fit with my case on. If

a) The adapter + cable doesn't work like the adapter does and
    b) The lightning plug on the adapter is bigger than the cable

then this is just fail, unless Apple comes out with some sort of Lightning extension cable...

13. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I agree COMPLETELY.

Seems like what I would need is, to buy the "brick"/non-cable adapter first, and attach that, then buy the Apple lightning extension cable so that it fits with my case. Then, it seems that there is a quality loss in the music playback.

This is just getting absurd, expensive and annoying. :mad:

14. Meatwad macrumors newbie

Except for one problem - I see no Apple lightning extension cable on the website. Did I miss it somewhere?

15. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

It has nothing to do with dremel skills. If you take a dremel to the adapter, and at some point in the next year that adapter fails for ANY reason, you will have voided your warranty because you modified the adapter. I just to keep my year warranty intact, especially when Apple cables in the past have been know to fray, and with the addition of digital to analog conversion internally, there's more room for a needed replacement.

Seems like the smart choice is to mod the $20 case.

16. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

So..somehow its Apples fault that the case manufactures don't make big enough ports...I expect they are modifying them now that the adapters are out. Some we will make it through this nightmare. Oh the humanity...

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I think the point is more that one adaptor has a bigger plug than the other.

18. thadoggfather, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

[​IMG]

fits when you flip that lip back down

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wish they made the cable a bit longer or less stiff. Sort of awkward to handle unless I prop my phone up on something as a resting place.

With Poetic Atmosphere, I'd imagine I'd have some front lip issues too to flip it back down after pushed up (just trying it with the case, not on the phone).

[​IMG]

Glad to have my JBL iPhone dock back in action