Lightning to 30-pin adapter - Don't waste your time

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Clint1583, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Clint1583 macrumors regular

As some of you may have already figured out, the "Lightning to 30-pin" adapter for $29.00 from Apple won't fit 99% of the iphone5's with a case because the Lightning plug end won't fit flush with the bottom of the phone. The guy at the Apple Store warned me when I bought it but I figured I could just return it within 14 days. What was Apple thinking? Almost everyone has a case for there iphone. The only option is to buy the $39.00 model that has a cable between the two ends.

The other problem is that almost every radio, stereo, clock radio, etc that has a 30-pin slot for an iphone/ipod has it mounted at a slight angle so even if the adapter fit the iphone, it would be next to impossible for the Lightning plug to hold the weight of the iphone at that angle. It would be very easy just to snap the plug off if you accidentally hit it.

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Another option is to get a dock connector to dock connector extension cable.

They're pretty cheap and you should be able to use that with your existing adapter.

3. Clint1583 thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure which cord you mean, is it sold on the Apple site? Can't find it.

4. FlunkedFlank macrumors member

Well it fits fine with my Ringke Slim case. Of course that case is specifically designed with a lot of room at the bottom for the very purpose of fitting well with many docks, etc. that often don't work well with cases.

But in any case the short adapter fits and doesn't touch the case at all.

5. Clint1583 thread starter macrumors regular

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

To be fair your thread title is misleading and not neccarily an issue for everyone. I use a pouch or slip case so it's not an issue for me. I'm sure the same applies to a lot of other people. You make it sound like its a waste for everyone and no one should get it.

7. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

This is not the case when you have a snap on case that has wide opening top and bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Fits my Kay Technology slim case perfectly. There is a cutout at the bottom specifically for the wider adapter..

9. Clint1583 thread starter macrumors regular

If I could figure out how to change my title I would. When I exchanged my adapter today for the one with the cable, the Apple sales person confirmed that "most" of the cases out there won't fit. I wished he had told me that to start with.

10. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Go to your original post, click Edit, Go Advanced, change the Title to what you want it to be, click Save.

BTW, no problems here. Using the Barely There case (same style as posted above.)