Lightning to 30 Pin Cable Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Radiating, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Radiating, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

Radiating macrumors 65816

I'll keep this simple. The Lightning to 30 pin cable fails at everything it is supposed to do:

1. Lightning Plug

The actual lightning plug is much fatter than the charger plug and the standard plug design so it does not fit with many current cases.

2. The Cable Itself.

The cable is extremely thick and extremly short, which defeats the purpose of having a cable because it literally gives you almost no flexibility in where to put the device. With a dock the phone will be hanging upside down for example because the cable has no flex and is so short, instead of sitting on the table next to it.

3. The Sound Quality.

Mediocre. It is worse than the sound quality from the phone itself, Apple obviously used a cheaper DAC, which is unacceptable. It sounds more hollow and less defined.

4. The volume.

The volume is also much lower than the volume from the phone, which was already cut down from the last generation to many people's dissapointment. This is unacceptable. It is nowhere near what line level audio should be and means you have to turn your system way up and add tons of distortion.

My qualifications:

I design some of the most high end home and car audio systems in the world and have created a few world record holding systems.

Verdict:

Wait for a third party company to release something better. This thing is garbage. I'd expect this from a chinese knockoff.

2. Nepaiphoneuser macrumors member

Works well with my speck case and otterbox commuter without modification.

Works well and no sound quality issues with my in car Bose stereo system.

3. Radiating, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

Radiating thread starter macrumors 65816

That's the problem with most people, they don't have the ability to recognize what good sound is. Bose for the most part does not make good sound systems. Yet they are the benchmark somehow and when the bar is there that's how Apple gets away with selling sub par products like this.

I tested the adapter both on a Bowers & Wilkins 803 Series Diamond home audio system and a top of the line Morel car audio system and it sounded noticably worse than the 3.5mm output with both, I planned to do an entire test with back to back spectrum analysis but the difference is such that the lightning adapter is just clearly mediocre, which is very disappointing because Apple usually gets these things right.

4. kthnxshwn macrumors regular

5. Radiating thread starter macrumors 65816

Your post is about as useful as a youtube comment. Please refrain from posting random insults.

6. darster Suspended

Thanks for the review. Will not be getting one. Especially not at the price Apple is selling them for.

7. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

8. kthnxshwn macrumors regular

It's not an insult. it's an actual review of this thread. It's ridiculous. If it were an insult, I could've used a more suited word like "stupid" or "idiotic" but I settled with ridiculous because that's a nicer word.

9. mixedup macrumors member

I wouldn't have expected anything from a DAC built in to a $40 accessory. The DACs in all of Apples devices are generally an afterthought. To get any decent sound from these you need to bypass the internal DAC and use something better.

10. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Sounds fine to me hooked up to my iPhone dock?

11. itjw macrumors 65816

Could not agree more.

Bose is the standard because of smoke, mirrors, style, and some pumped up bass.

It's "cool". Not good sound.

If B&W and Morel make this adapter sound crappy then it IS crappy. If it sounds ok on Bose it only proves that it's passable to a non-audiophile.

Sheesh. For OCD people who go crazy over "scuff gate" they sure are quick to give Apple a pass on this lol...

12. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I was very pleased that the 30 pin to Lightning adapter worked perfectly with my OEM Mercedes iPod/iPhone kit. It was rumored that the Apple adapter would not support the steering wheel controls and song/album info on the dash display. I was seriously contemplating purchasing a new iPod Classic for my music playing through my car sound system. Thankfully after receiving my adapter from Apple, all of the steering wheel controls work and the music data appears in the dash just as with my 4S.
    As far as the sound quality is concerned, I hear no difference from my 4S.
    All in all I'm very satisfied with the adapter and saved myself the $250 I'd have had to pay for the iPod Classic.

13. Radiating thread starter macrumors 65816

It was confirmed very early on that it would work with steering wheel controls.

The lightning to 30 pin adapter will send digital audio to many vehicles, which will show no difference in quality because digital is digital. Are you using a 30 pin to USB connection?

The problem is the analog audio. Not the digital audio.

It's worth mentioning that I found out that previous generation USB ipod/iphone external DAC's will work with the lightning connector meaning for those of us who us analog audio we need to buy expensive external DACs.

14. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I have the Mercedes Benz OEM "iPod/iPhone" kit which has a 30pin cable in the glove compartment on which I have installed a "lightning to 30 pin" Apple adapter. I would imagine the cable is USB on the other side into the audio system. I had read the "iPod control" would not work, which I took to believe included the steering wheel control and digital data display on the dash board.

15. Radiating thread starter macrumors 65816

That makes sense I've seen the adapter but wasn't sure if yours was the same.. The lack of support for iPod control was a misnomer.

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/13/lightning-30-pin-adapter-works-with-analog-audio-ipod-out-doe/

16. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

"iPod Out" is different from iPod controls. Lots of people were confused by that, unfortunately.

17. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Needless to say, I was happy to see it worked just as it did with my 4S. :)