Lightning to 30 pin cable w/Otterbox Armor case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by roncole17, Aug 23, 2013.

1. roncole17 macrumors newbie

I have a new Otterbox Armor case for my new iPhone 5 :). I wanted to connect it to the CD player in my car via it's 30 pin plug so I bought the Apple branded lightning to 30 pin adapter cable as it was obvious that the lightning to 30pin plug adapter wouldn't work.

The cable's Lightning connector will not fit through the hole in Armor case, the Lightning plug is too fat. I emailed Otterbox and they claim that their case is 'designed to work' with the apple lightning to 30pin cable. Before I call BS on them and return the case (which I really like otherwise) I wanted to check and see if anyone else has been successful in using the apple cable with the armor case, or for that matter any other brand cable that would fit and supports audio.

The apple supplied usb to lightning charging cable does fit just fine.

Maybe I should just try a Lifeproof Nuud case?

Thanks,

Ron

2. Kayakmark macrumors newbie

I have the exact se issue! I love the case but this issue is making it very frustrating!
    Help please!

3. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

This may be a stupid question, but which of these are you referring to?

[​IMG]

4. Kayakmark, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

Kayakmark macrumors newbie

The one with the cable...But I solved it!!!!
    Using a Dremel tool with a soft grit sandin disk on the lowest speed I shaved off just enough from the top of the lightning plug side to allow it to fit!!!! I also did it to the AV digital lightning plug too!!! They now both work perfectly! Don't think they look all that bad..most people won't notice unless u tell them..

Attached Files:

5. Kayakmark macrumors newbie

Another photo

Attached Files:

6. Kayakmark macrumors newbie

Both of em!

Attached Files:

7. Kayakmark macrumors newbie

...by the way if your looking for a water proof/durable case the Otterbox Armor blows away the LifeProof! (I've tried all three versions)...now that these cables work it's the perfect case for water, durability, and sound/calling...Plus I love the wrist strap capability .... If u can't tell by my name...I'm near water a lot!

8. roncole17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll do this! I was hesitant to try something like this as I was worried about damaging the circuitry in the plug but now that you're done it safely I'll get out the Dremel tool.

Thanks everybody!

9. USMCSTILES macrumors newbie

Cheaper route.

Found this site. I was gonna just buy these cheap connectors to see if I could take them apart and replace the usb end of one with the the 30 pin end of the other. If successful, I was gonna do the same with a factory apple cable that fits into the Armors charging hole. I figured just as every other, the lightening end was bigger. I was wrong. This $3 part does the same as the Apple $40 part. Not the same for all the other adapters though. Lightening to VGA/HDIM/DVI etc.

These for $3

http://www.miniinthebox.com/30-pin-...le-for-iphone-5-ipad-4-mini-ipod_p744955.html

Short lightening to usb for $2

http://www.miniinthebox.com/lightni...or-iphone-5-and-others-8pin-18cm_p714353.html

Otterbox should still make a revision to accept all APPLE adapters at least. Come on otter box, that is a bit ridiculous.