Lightning-to-Ethernet Cables and Lightning to USB-C Audio Adapters Added to Apple's MFi Program

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will soon allow hardware developers to manufacture additional Made for iPhone (MFi) certified adapters including USB-C to Lightning audio adapters, reports Japanese site Mac Otakara. Apple is said to have recently informed developers who participate in the MFi program about the change.

MFi program members were informed of the changes in Apple's "MFi Accessory Interface Specifications Release R31," which specifies support for new adapter types compatible with iOS devices.

Apple is designating an MFi certification for Lightning to USB-C audio adapters, such as the one
Anker announced in May, designed for Macs with USB-C ports and the new iPad Pro. The adapter allows Lightning headphones to be plugged into a USB-C port.

Also among the additions are Lightning-to-Ethernet adapters, of which Belkin's Ethernet + Power Adapter with Lightning Connector is the only currently MFi-approved accessory available to buy on Apple's online store.

The Belkin cable offers both Power over Ethernet (PoE) and Lightning ports, allowing users to connect to a secure network while continuing to charge their iOS device. The PoE compatibility also provides an additional way to connect and charge simultaneously with a single cable.

According to the report, Apple's latest Lightning-to-Ethernet adapter specification includes the Realtek Gigabit Ethernet Controller "Realtek RLT8111EPU".

As a result of the new specifications, additional third-party options for USB-C to Lightning audio adapters and Lightning-to-Ethernet cables are expected to appear on the market.

Article Link: Lightning-to-Ethernet Cables and Lightning to USB-C Audio Adapters Added to Apple's MFi Program

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
It looks like Lightning cables will be with us for a while. I was hoping Apple would just switch over entirely to USB-C and be done with it.
I find it interesting that MFi will make lightening to Ethernet adapters, people using an iPhone/iPad did not have a use for this prior, this leads me to think that an Ax MacBook will have a USB-C and lightening port connection options.

jeyf

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2009
forgive me, but I like the fact a MB has like (4) usbC connectors. If any one goes bad you got a few remaining. I never used them for anything more than charging and if that, there is significant current on these tiny thin connectors. Just knowing Apples huge commitment to quality

venusboy

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
In France we have 10Gb fibre now but there only seems to be USB-C to gigabit Ethernet adapters.

The USB-C to 10gigabit Ethernet adapters require their own power supply and are bricks. Is this gonna be a permanent problem?

seek3r

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Does wider support for ethernet mean that Apple is taking wired networking more seriously on iOS and maybe, just maybe, we’ll be able to use tethering to share internet through an ethernet connection soon? I have had dozens of times where being able to do this without an intermediary device would have been incredibly useful..

(I know, it’s unlikely, but I can hope!)

FightTheFuture

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Also among the additions are Lightning-to-Ethernet adapters, of which Belkin's Ethernet + Power Adapter with Lightning Connector is the only currently MFi-approved accessory available to buy on Apple's online store.

The Belkin cable offers both Power over Ethernet (PoE) and Lightning ports, allowing users to connect to a secure network while continuing to charge their iOS device. The PoE compatibility also provides an additional way to connect and charge simultaneously with a single cable.

According to the report, Apple's latest Lightning-to-Ethernet adapter specification includes the Realtek Gigabit Ethernet Controller "Realtek RLT8111EPU".
I had no idea lightning-to-ethernet adapters existed until now. I suppose these are used at POS Square terminals at stores rather than using WiFi.

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
Ridiculous. Just kill off Lightning already! It’s time for it to die.
Something that widespread doesn't "die" overnight. There are literally millions of Lightning devices out there. I'm typing on one (Magic Keyboard) right now, and my Apple TV Remote charges that way, plus literally six other devices I own. And like everyone else who uses Apple stuff, I've got tons of lightning cables kicking around.

So, aside from the fact that a comparatively very small number of newer devices uses USB-C, what's the arguement against lightning? It's small, it's reversible, it carries power and data. I'm just not super clear on what the benefit would be of "killing" a connector that's already in a lot of places -- unless it's just a special "f-u" to the environment you're after.

It's the same as USB-A. There may be a successor out there, but with probably billions of the things out there, you're going to be encountering them for years and years.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I've been kind of wanting to do integrated-in-wall iPad minis as Home controllers, but didn't want to use WiFi for them. These Power over Ethernet adapters would be perfect! Just have to run an Ethernet cable to where it would be, no need to worry about separate power.

Edit: Just looked at the price. Ooof. $99 each. iPad minis are expensive enough, even buying used. Definitely can't get these puppies used yet. (I already have a Power-over-Ethernet injecting switch, I got it from a company surplus auction dirt cheap a few years ago, and have been trying to find something useful to do with it. :p )

iGeneo

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
I find it interesting that MFi will make lightening to Ethernet adapters, people using an iPhone/iPad did not have a use for this prior, this leads me to think that an Ax MacBook will have a USB-C and lightening port connection options.
Sure they have... iPads in POS environments have been using it for years.
[doublepost=1562980608][/doublepost]
I've been kind of wanting to do integrated-in-wall iPad minis as Home controllers, but didn't want to use WiFi for them. These Power over Ethernet adapters would be perfect! Just have to run an Ethernet cable to where it would be, no need to worry about separate power.

Edit: Just looked at the price. Ooof. $99 each. iPad minis are expensive enough, even buying used. Definitely can't get these puppies used yet. (I already have a Power-over-Ethernet injecting switch, I got it from a company surplus auction dirt cheap a few years ago, and have been trying to find something useful to do with it. :p )
Two options now

Apple camera connection kit with the Apple USB Ethernet adapter. But would still require lightning power adapter, Or a product from a company called RedPark that offers Ethernet using POE, with a direct connection to the lightning port.

az431

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
I hope USB-C never comes to the iPhone.
Bad news, USB C will inevitably make it into the iPhone.

Good news is it’s better than Lightning.
[doublepost=1562980728][/doublepost]
Something that widespread doesn't "die" overnight. There are literally millions of Lightning devices out there. I'm typing on one (Magic Keyboard) right now, and my Apple TV Remote charges that way, plus literally six other devices I own. And like everyone else who uses Apple stuff, I've got tons of lightning cables kicking around.

So, aside from the fact that a comparatively very small number of newer devices uses USB-C, what's the arguement against lightning? It's small, it's reversible, it carries power and data. I'm just not super clear on what the benefit would be of "killing" a connector that's already in a lot of places -- unless it's just a special "f-u" to the environment you're after.

It's the same as USB-A. There may be a successor out there, but with probably billions of the things out there, you're going to be encountering them for years and years.
Settle down. Pretty certain that by “kill off” he meant make USB C the standard cross all new iOS devices, not sequester and destroy all lightning ports in the wild.

Reactions: seek3r

Sikh

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
I’d be happy if Apple can make a cable last longer than 6 months.
I dont know about you but I still have my first lightning cable from my iphone 5 and its holding up fine. its only slightly white but its the cable i use to use the most and now I use it in my car / work / traveling and with all that abuse its fine.

I really dont know what people do to their cables. Im not saying apple cables are the best manufacturer provided cables but neither are morotola/nexus or samsung cables. The best manufacturer cable ive dealt with so far is HTC cables.

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Sure they have... iPads in POS environments have been using it for years.
WiFi o_O

Two options now

Apple camera connection kit with the Apple USB Ethernet adapter. But would still require lightning power adapter, Or a product from a company called RedPark that offers Ethernet using POE, with a direct connection to the lightning port.
Lightening to USB-A offers more flexibility compared to Lightening to Ethernet. One can get USB-A to SD Card readers, USB Hub with Ethernet, etc. One cannot get a Ethernet to USB-A option.

Seems pointless tbh. I have a USB-A hub with 3 USB ports and Gigabit ethernet and when using the Lightning to USB-A dongle, it recognizes it and I have the added benefit of a USB hub.

If the scenario you mention were the reason then Apple would have introduced these years ago, it's not like Lightening is a new connector and some companies such as data centres have been using solutions as I mentioned to make an ethernet connection. While Apple is at it just release a Lightening to USB-C, USB-A, Lightening-Female, etc hub and a USB-C to the prior mentioned port hub, considering iPadOS is evolving into a more productive and capable OS.
[doublepost=1562985102][/doublepost]
I dont know about you but I still have my first lightning cable from my iphone 5 and its holding up fine. its only slightly white but its the cable i use to use the most and now I use it in my car / work / traveling and with all that abuse its fine.

I really dont know what people do to their cables. Im not saying apple cables are the best manufacturer provided cables but neither are morotola/nexus or samsung cables. The best manufacturer cable ive dealt with so far is HTC cables.
Personal experience I have had some Apple Lightening cables last and other not so. I asked an Apple store manager why this was and it was mentioned that the materials are easier to recycle and less damaging to manufacturer compared to if the cable was made with a more durable material. I find this odd as one would not have to replace or recycle a damaged cable if it lasted longer and I am not aware of many who take the effort to recycle cables vice discarding it in the rubbish bin. I believe it is more of a revenue stream.
[doublepost=1562985281][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1562980728][/doublepost]

Settle down. Pretty certain that by “kill off” he meant make USB C the standard cross all new iOS devices, not sequester and destroy all lightning ports in the wild.
I concur, I also believe that iPhone 2019 is getting thicker due to this reason if not for 2020's release. Question is if 3D Touch is removed will that bring back the audio jack. :p

Sikh

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
WiFi o_O

Lightening to USB-A offers more flexibility compared to Lightening to Ethernet. One can get USB-A to SD Card readers, USB Hub with Ethernet, etc. One cannot get a Ethernet to USB-A option.

Seems pointless tbh. I have a USB-A hub with 3 USB ports and Gigabit ethernet and when using the Lightning to USB-A dongle, it recognizes it and I have the added benefit of a USB hub.

If the scenario you mention were the reason then Apple would have introduced these years ago, it's not like Lightening is a new connector and some companies such as data centres have been using solutions as I mentioned to make an ethernet connection. While Apple is at it just release a Lightening to USB-C, USB-A, Lightening-Female, etc hub and a USB-C to the prior mentioned port hub, considering iPadOS is evolving into a more productive and capable OS.
[doublepost=1562985102][/doublepost]

Personal experience I have had some Apple Lightening cables last and other not so. I asked an Apple store manager why this was and it was mentioned that the materials are easier to recycle and less damaging to manufacturer compared to if the cable was made with a more durable material. I find this odd as one would not have to replace or recycle a damaged cable if it lasted longer and I am not aware of many who take the effort to recycle cables vice discarding it in the rubbish bin. I believe it is more of a revenue stream.
[doublepost=1562985281][/doublepost]

I concur, I also believe that iPhone 2019 is getting thicker due to this reason if not for 2020's release. Question is if 3D Touch is removed will that bring back the audio jack. :p
I can believe the recycle bit because normal consumers have like 10+ cables cause they lose them or go through them all the time. Ive seen how people wrap their cables and their headphones, no wonder their **** breaks all the time. Ive seen people pull cables from the cable and not the end and wonder why the cable frayed, I even have a friend whos broken BRAIDED CABLES with nice ends on them. I got him a nice heavy duty anker cable that has steel ends and its braided and he HASNT broken that one yet.

People are careless and if they are going to trash the cables or lose them, makes sense to make them recyclable. As for revenue stream, I dont believe that point. Apple knows most people buy third party cables cause they are colorful/cheaper/stronger/whatever the reason is. I know someone who would rather keep buying $2-3 cables multiple times instead of a 1 time nice purchase of $10-20 like the anker i bought.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
It looks like Lightning cables will be with us for a while. I was hoping Apple would just switch over entirely to USB-C and be done with it.
Yeah, and more than likely 2019 iPhone won’t have USB-C port. For next year iPhone though things could still be a bit unclear.
Maybe analysts, pundits, bloggers and armchair MR-forum CTOs will stop predicting USB-C for iPhone “next year” yet again, for the third or fourth year in a row.

No? Well, one can hope... ;)
Nice roast. My favourite style. :D
I’d be happy if Apple can make a cable last longer than 6 months.
My last dead lighting cable last near a year. So, longer than 6 months.
While this is possible, I feel it is highly unlikely for MacBook to have lightning port built in, given Apple transitions to USB-C port for a couple of years already.

Rather, this program is for current iPad that has lightning ports to use Ethernet connection or plug in USB-C DAC for example.
Ridiculous. Just kill off Lightning already! It’s time for it to die.
Your mood are the main reason why history is often forgotten yet repeats itself, only hitting far harder than last time.

Hardly any “good or bad” news, but something that will happen. And no, Lightning port has better structure integrity than USB-C port, which has a thin piece of plastic for data transfer and connection. Wonder how that one would break.