All iPads Lightning to Lightning "Y" Adapter?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Newbert, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Newbert macrumors member

I have two musical keyboards which I switch between when using some of the piano apps on iPad.

I'd prefer not to have to swap out the lightning cable when switching between the two, so I'm wondering whether there's such a thing as a Lightning to Lightning "Y" Adapter cable or hub?

This would be used with the 12.9 iPad Pro, if that matters.

Thanks!

2. Medusa3 macrumors member

Medusa3

I second this. I would love it. Or an Apple sanctioned dual power block so it doesn't fry my cables...

3. mk313 macrumors 6502

Someone came out withone of those (belkin maybe) right after the iPhone 7 was announced. It was so that you could charge your phone while
    Listening to the lightning earbuds. I'd imagine it would work with 2 keyboards as well.

4. Rayd5365 macrumors member

It was Belkin, but looking at the description here, it seems it ONLY supports power and audio out, nothing else.
    Bummer, a true y-adapter or "2 port lightning hub" would be a really slick solution for a lot of things....

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Light...sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+dual+lightning+adapter

5. Medusa3 macrumors member

Medusa3

Ever seen the Y reversed? Like one USB plug with 2 lightning tips at the other end? Charge 2 phones on one cable sort of a thing

6. sevoneone macrumors 6502

It's easy to split power and audio signals. The data part of Lightning is USB and that would take some active circuitry, I imagine like a USB hum inline in the cable...

I wonder... do the keyboards have a USB connection? You could maybe use a Lightning to USB A adapter and a USB hub.

7. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Best idea posted, right here. Although there is a bit of a question of if the hub itself would be supported correctly by iOS. I've not seen people try it, but it is worth a shot, IMO.

The issue there I see is that you'd need to ensure that the two phones don't go into fast charge mode at the same time. Otherwise you might start trying to pull more current than the port can provide. It's just less risky to use two ports than try to charge two devices off one port.

8. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

im trying to find a lightning female to usb so I can use my own lightning cable in my car instead of a third party. Im using a camera adapter cable right now and want the end of the lightning cable to be usb female.

9. graison macrumors newbie

graison

Do you have the camera connector kit? Maybe try a powered USB hub. I use one for a USB mic and a midi keyboard.