Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
I have a pair of Bose QC25s and the cable used is essentially a male to male aux cable with added mic & remote. I know a lot of other headphones have cables like this too.

I'm looking for a lightning to male aux cable to use with my iPhone 7 Plus so I don't have to use the aux adapter. I've seen lightning to female aux adapters everywhere but no male options, even though it would be pretty easy to make.

I'm considering just splicing an aux adapter with an aux cord but something more flush would be ideal. Has anyone seen something like this around?

Phisherman81

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Welcome to the club :)

At least here on the forum, I don't think anyone has found a lightning to male 3.5mm cable yet.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Don't forget that any such cable has to contain a good deal of electronic components in order to be functional. Lots of opportunity to really mess with the sound here.

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Don't forget that any such cable has to contain a good deal of electronic components in order to be functional. Lots of opportunity to really mess with the sound here.

From what I've read, MFi audio adapters are required to use the Wolfson WM8533 DAC. If this cable uses that chip and has average/decent build quality I think everything will be fine.

Of course I won't know until I get it, and I'll crack one open as well to see what it's packing.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
From what I've read, MFi audio adapters are required to use the Wolfson WM8533 DAC. If this cable uses that chip and has average/decent build quality I think everything will be fine.

Of course I won't know until I get it, and I'll crack one open as well to see what it's packing.

I had not heard that but I hope that it's the case and that the sound is pretty standardized at least from MFi accessories.

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Apparently they've already cloned the DAC used in the Apple aux adapter and are building them into new 3rd party audio adapters. This is good news!

Attachments

• IMG_4576.PNG
    IMG_4576.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 282

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
The cables came in. They're pretty nice build quality and perform well. Tried using them with my Bose QC25 headphones and realized they require a 2.5mm aux... That's the whole reason I bought the cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.