Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Hi,

Anyone else is similar boat as me. I got iPP 12.9 to do some light on the go edits. I primarily shoot in RAW with Canon 6D. I got lightning to SD card reader hoping it will make it easier to get pictures on iPP to check out and edit it on the go. To my dismay the transfter speed of pictures from SD card to iPP is not something I would want to use it as on the go tool. It is almost like USB 1.1 or at the best USB 2.0 kind of transfer speed. Anyone else experience slow transfer speed ? I don't have anything else on my 128GB iPP apart from MS Office and usual OSX applications. I was trying to see what Photoshop Express can do for me before delving into Adobe CC subscription. At present I use iMac 27" 2015 fully loaded for my primary edit machine, I use LR6 + Adobe PS for my primary editing tools.

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
Raw files are pretty sizeable and it is no surprise that they take a while.

However, do you have the new USB-3 Lighting to SD card reader? This makes use of the USB-3 support of the iPad Pro and will give you faster transfer speeds that the old unit. Apparently, they are almost identical to look at and even the boxes are pretty similar. You need to check the small print on the box.

Another factor will be the SD card class rating as that also has a bearing on the transfer speed.

Finally, I decided that I would use the Lightning to USB-3 Camera Adaptor rather than the SD route and I have to say that I was impressed at how quickly the images transferred across.

Food for thought perhaps and I hope that at least some of my rambling is helpful to you.

Jason

Reactions: tgara and mjoshi123

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Raw files are pretty sizeable and it is no surprise that they take a while.

However, do you have the new USB-3 Lighting to SD card reader? This makes use of the USB-3 support of the iPad Pro and will give you faster transfer speeds that the old unit. Apparently, they are almost identical to look at and even the boxes are pretty similar. You need to check the small print on the box.

Another factor will be the SD card class rating as that also has a bearing on the transfer speed.

Finally, I decided that I would use the Lightning to USB-3 Camera Adaptor rather than the SD route and I have to say that I was impressed at how quickly the images transferred across.

Food for thought perhaps and I hope that at least some of my rambling is helpful to you.

Jason
Is this the one you are referring to ?

http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-to-...era Adaptor&qid=1465413614&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.