Lightning to SD card reader on iPP 12.9 & abysmal transfer speed.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mjoshi123, Jun 8, 2016.

1. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Hi,

Anyone else is similar boat as me. I got iPP 12.9 to do some light on the go edits. I primarily shoot in RAW with Canon 6D. I got lightning to SD card reader hoping it will make it easier to get pictures on iPP to check out and edit it on the go. To my dismay the transfter speed of pictures from SD card to iPP is not something I would want to use it as on the go tool. It is almost like USB 1.1 or at the best USB 2.0 kind of transfer speed. Anyone else experience slow transfer speed ? I don't have anything else on my 128GB iPP apart from MS Office and usual OSX applications. I was trying to see what Photoshop Express can do for me before delving into Adobe CC subscription. At present I use iMac 27" 2015 fully loaded for my primary edit machine, I use LR6 + Adobe PS for my primary editing tools.

2. JasonHB macrumors regular

Raw files are pretty sizeable and it is no surprise that they take a while.

However, do you have the new USB-3 Lighting to SD card reader? This makes use of the USB-3 support of the iPad Pro and will give you faster transfer speeds that the old unit. Apparently, they are almost identical to look at and even the boxes are pretty similar. You need to check the small print on the box.

Another factor will be the SD card class rating as that also has a bearing on the transfer speed.

Finally, I decided that I would use the Lightning to USB-3 Camera Adaptor rather than the SD route and I have to say that I was impressed at how quickly the images transferred across.

Food for thought perhaps and I hope that at least some of my rambling is helpful to you.

Jason

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I do RAW also and it does take a while but it is to be expected as the files are very large. Not that big of an issue with me as I can wait a few minutes.

4. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Is this the one you are referring to ?

http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-to-...era Adaptor&qid=1465413614&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

5. JasonHB macrumors regular

Yes it is but bear in mind the genuine Apple one is only £29.00 from Apple.

Not sure where Amazon got that price from

Jason

6. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Yeah don't buy it from Amazon. Buy it direct from Apple.