iPad Pro Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - potential ethernet connectivity

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rhildinger, Mar 21, 2016.

1. rhildinger macrumors member

Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=91

This new adapter was hardly mentioned in today's event, yet seems to open the door to a plethora of new capabilities, including ethernet support if Apple's description is to be believed. From the Apple store description of the new Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter:

"With the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, it’s easy to transfer photos and videos from your high-resolution digital camera to your iPad Pro. After you connect the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, your iPad Pro automatically opens the Photos app, which lets you choose photos and videos to import, then organizes them into albums.

Add even greater capability and versatility to your iPad Pro by powering the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter with a USB Power Adapter. Then you can connect USB peripherals like hubs, Ethernet adapters, audio/MIDI interfaces, and card readers for CompactFlash, SD, microSD, and more.

The Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW, along with SD and HD video formats, including H.264 and MPEG-4. The 12.9-inch iPad Pro transfers data at USB 3 speeds, while the 9.7-inch iPad Pro uses USB 2."

Please please please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that second paragraph seem to indicate a whole new range of connectivity options, up to and including ethernet support? Or do you think someone in marketing got a little overzealous in their description?

2. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I had thought Phil mentioned something about ethernet with VPN with one of those adapters.

3. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Surprised Apple haven't already made a Lightning Ethernet connector, but I'll be interested to see how this works ( especially how it'd be configured within iOS ). It's a bit of a shame it can't be self-powered, though.

4. AliMacs macrumors 6502

There is the extra charging port aside from the USB 3.0 port shown in the pict. I don't mind it too much having to use a hub to connect so many devices together. I mainly use the IPP on my desk anyway. Be happy they at least have this device now! Finally I can utilize my USB 3.0 lightning port!

5. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

You've been able to connect iPads to Ethernet for years now through adapters. Odd thing though is that the UI doesn't seem to have any Ethernet support so while everything will work, there is no visual indicator that says you are connected via Ethernet.

6. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors regular

thank you for the heads up. just placed an order for this.

i already am using the ipad pro with a usb hub that has ethernet on it. no big deal....

7. SidBoggle macrumors regular

I just received my adapter and yes, the ethernet connection works perfectly. I also tested it with my iphone 6S Plus and it works for that as well. Definitely useful for those times I have been stuck in a hotel and the WiFi has been unusable.