Lightning to USB 3 Dual Charging

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by satinsilverem2, Mar 28, 2016.

1. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

While playing with the new USB 3 Camera adapter I decided to plug my iPhone to the adapter while it was plugged in. As soon as I plugged my iPhone into it, it started charging both devices. I don't know if this is a feature of the adapter or what. Also I wouldn't imagine this is good for it because it is essentially drawing twice the normal current from the power adapter. Just kind of neat and thought I would share

Attached Files:

2. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors regular

USB spec calls for power at the port so this is not really a radical thing.

3. markhort macrumors 6502a

markhort

Have you tried connecting a SD card reader? Just wondering if it will let you stream from the card or do you have to import to the device.

4. satinsilverem2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

Unfortunately like the Lightning to SD card reader you can only import and not preview and stream pictures and videos.

5. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I don't think you are actually drawing twice the current. I think what is happening is that the iPhone is stealing some of the current from the iPad, so the iPhone will charge at normal speed and the iPad will charge at a slower speed.

6. rigormortis, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

phone 6, 6 plus and 6s* and 6s plus* ( * = el capitan required ) asks for the same charging current as an ipad.

looking at the picture, what i would do is go into about this mac. go to system report. click on usb, and then click on the device that is connected. you will see how much power the 2 way adapter is asking for. and then you would just divide this by 2 evenly.

you should see:
    current available ( ma) : xxx
    current required ( ma ) xxx
    Extra Operating Current (ma) : xxx

add extra operating to current available and you get the total current the usb adapter is getting.
    then this current is divided up and shared among the two devices

its my guess that its probably asking for 2100 ma? how it splits it , i have no idea.

it could be just like a dumb 2 way cable and the mac is actualy charging both devices at their top speed. i am really not sure. i think its probably like a usb hub or a usb bridge and it takes whatever power your giving it, and it divides it up, instead of your mac dividing the current

this is why macs have system report

if the ipad + iPhone are both in system report , then just add the current together.

your mac will tell you exactly how much current every usb device uses

if anyone wants to ponder the idea, of how much an iPod touch 6 gen will need or if the ipad charger will charge an iPhone 5 any faster. you can use system report to check every single iOS device you have

7. markhort macrumors 6502a

markhort

Damn that's a shame, would have been perfect for adding extra storage.

8. satinsilverem2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

I agree. I just want to be able to preview individual images so I can see what I want to import rather that look at a bunch of small thumbnails.