Lightpeak's possibilities

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by profoshow, Feb 22, 2011.

1. profoshow macrumors member

I have read up on light peak technology, and I have watched some videos on how fast it is. My question is what will it be compatible with. Example, I have an hd Sony handycam will I be able to down load video files to my mbp at 10 g/s? If some of you tech savy guys could explain where light peak will be used I would be very thankful.

Typed from iPad.

2. profoshow thread starter macrumors member

3. goMac macrumors 603

No, you need devices designed for light peak to get light peak speeds.

4. profoshow thread starter macrumors member

5. Scippy macrumors regular

Once newer hardware comes out that is compatible with lightpeak, yes you should theoretically be able download at 10 GB/s. However, that depends on how fast your hard drive can also write. Currently, SATA, the hard drive connection, has a max of 6 GB/s.

6. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

No it doesn't suck. Your HD camcorder was never designed for LP so it's no surprise that it will not work at 10Gb/s. What would suck is if it works slower than on the interface it was originally designed to use, example: FW800 via LP is significantly slower than FW800 itself. I'm guessing that your camcorder doesn't transfer at anything remotely near 10Gb/s so I don't think you have much to worry about.

At this point the only consumer application of 10Gb/s would be mutiple SSDs in RAID.