Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pixelator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Does anyone have any ideas/rumors as to when Adobe will release the full version of Lightroom 2.0? Any idea based on time it's taken from beta release in the past for other software? Thanks!

Bob Laubach
NVCC Photography Department
Alexandria VA

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
It will be interesting to see if they drop the price the way Apple did with Aperture...

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
Scott Kelby's Lightroom 2.0 book has already been announced and should be available in July. That might be a clue.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Does anyone have any ideas/rumors as to when Adobe will release the full version of Lightroom 2.0? Any idea based on time it's taken from beta release in the past for other software?

When to increment the number to the left of the decimal point is more of a marketing desion than a techniacl one. The developers work off task lists and features are adding to the software was the tesks get worked off. managments get to asign prioroies to tasks and to deside which are to go into 2.0 and which can wait for 2.1 What goes where is kind of arbitrary.

As an end user you really do not want "'2.0" to come soon. 2.0 will cost you money for the upgrade and the sonner it comes out the fewer features it will include. As a user I prefer the free "point" releases.

bonafide

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2007
Jeesh,

Lightroom 2.0?

Crap... now what do I do. Buy Aperture 2 or wait for Lightroom 2.0?

Jeromie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2005
Jeesh,

Lightroom 2.0?

Crap... now what do I do. Buy Aperture 2 or wait for Lightroom 2.0?

If you're undecided, go with the one that's available NOW. I spent a long, long time waffling back and forth between Aperture and Lightroom until finally ordering Aperture a couple weeks ago. It was worth the $200 just to have the decision made and get on with taking and developing my pictures.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
I think Adobe rushed to put out the recent beta in an attempt to blunt Apple's recent update & price reduction of Aperture. Aperture has a lot of momentum on the photography sites as of late. The release of the SDK and the implementation of plugins is leaving Adobe scrambling to keep Lightroom relevant. I think the official release of Lightroom is literally months away.

Pixelator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
thanks

Thanks, all -

The reason i'm wondering when is because the college has a maintenance contract through July 31 where we get upgrades (yes, upgrades, not updates) free (well included in price) until then. I'm hoping that Lightroom 2.0 comes out before then so we are covered and dont have to do last minute budget tricks to be able to have the software upgrade in a timely fashion. I ordered the Kelby book for Lightroom 2 - didnt realize it is coming out in July - I do hope that is an indicator of full release date!!!! I suppose that Kelby's book publishing is much like Adobe's software publishing - both will be making updates right up til final release! Let's hope Kelby's publishing date doesnt slip!

Bob Laubach
Northern Virginia Community College
Alexandria VA

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I saw August mentioned somewhere for the ALR 2.0 release.

I was going to evaluate Aperture 2, but the show-stopper for me is the fact that it doesn't read ALR sidecar files. I have no desire to lose all my edits changing software.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
Lightroom 2 Beta so far has been phenomenal and I really cannot wait for the final. The kicker for me is the non destructive dodge/burn/saturation/clarity tools which definitely have the edge thus far over Aperture 2.1. I use both I like the book making ability in Aperture but I like the lack of side car (aka .dng) files in LR. Aperture didnt pick up on any settings saved in .dng files either so all my edits from LR 1 went unnoticed and on top of that any changes that I *DID* do in Aperture didn't save into the dng (obviously) so I was happy to get back my LR edits when I did go back to LR 2 Beta.

My only complaint thus far is that I want to see the ability to tweak the edge settings for the brush tools.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The kicker for me is the non destructive dodge/burn/saturation/clarity tools which definitely have the edge thus far over Aperture 2.1

I think people are totally missing the point when they compare Lightroom's dodge-and-burn to Aperture's - and I say this as someone who's undecided regarding which rev. 2 product I'll end up with. The big deal with Aperture's DAB isn't the DAB tool itself; it's the plugin architecture that allows any third-party developer to create new tools for Aperture.

Certainly Apple could've made a non-destructive tool for DAB, just like Adobe did, if they wanted to keep their app insular and closed (just like Adobe has, so far). It just seems silly that people somehow are missing that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.