Lightroom 2

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mckey, Mar 2, 2013.

1. mckey macrumors member

I have an older version of adobe photoshop that I used years ago on my windows pc and have now made the transition to mac os x .I haven't used my camera gear nikon d80 and d300 much in the last few years and now have the urge to get back into it.Any suggestions on upgrading to a newer version of LR or maybe give Aperture a try ? . I'll be using the software on my 2012 i7 mac mini or 2008 MBP upgraded to 8 GB ram owc SSD.

2. mckey thread starter macrumors member

Thought I'd try to install the LR 2 software on my macbook pro and just save some money rather then spend another hundred bucks on LR4 but unfortunately the installation failed and doesn't look like the LR2 version is compatible with os x 10.8.2 :(

Looks like I'll spending some money on Lightroom 4 in the near future anyone know of any sales or bargins other than amazon for the best price ?

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

I am currently on Lr4, which I find an extremely useful application. The tools in Lr4 have been improved immensely over Lr2.

However, despite all of that... you may find Lr3 is adequate for your needs for now. There was a really big improvement in several key areas (like noise reduction) going from Lr2 to Lr3. The improvements from Lr3 to Lr4 were worth the money in my opinion, as well.... but it was jump to Lr3 that where Adobe made the really big improvements. You may find Lr3 for cheap somewhere.

On the other hand... .... if you own a legitimate copy of Lr2 the upgrade to Lr4 is only $79.... assuming you are in the US or Canada.

Luck

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Will LR3 even work on SL - Adobe is notorious for their older apps not working with new OSes.

5. tmagman macrumors 6502

LR3 is fine on Snow Leopard. It was the latest OS when LR3 came out.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

I believe so. I'm sure I upgraded to Lr4 from Lr3 while on SL. If the OP is concerned a quick Google should answer that question, and it is probably worth confirming before spending any money.

7. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Lr3 works and pretty well. I have both lr3 and 4 installed on my laptop, which is running SL! As far as a camera profile for a d800 or newer glass profiles, that probably will not happen.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Sorry, I don't know why I wrote SL when the OP is running ML ...

That is the real question: will LR3 work on ML?

9. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

I have a Macbook pro running Mountain Lion and it runs Lightroom 3 beautifully

10. mckey thread starter macrumors member

Good news !!!! Turns out I have lightroom 3 after all, I must have forgotten that I had upgraded a while back from LR2 -LR3 and the box with the software got misplaced in my closet.I was able to install the LR3 on my MBP without any issues so everything is good now and I was able to save money to boot.Thanks for the help everyone ! :)

11. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I'm still using LR3 but I've been eyeing LR4 . It's really not that expensive. I've seen it for around $60-70. Staples and Best Buy carry it. SO if you get a gift card and catch it on sale, you basically get it for little or nothing. If you are any good with your camera, it will pay for itself :)

12. vandrv macrumors regular

The Lightromm 4 develop module is a vast improvement over Lightroom 3' and absolutely worth the cost of the upgrade. However, it seems that performance has slowed on on anything less than a high horsepower computer.

13. snberk103 macrumors 603

Luckily I have a modern system, so I can't comment on how widespread the slowdowns may be. However, for anyone contemplating the upgrade to Lr4 you can download and trial Lr4 for a month to test for issues before spending the money for the upgrade. Someone doing this should tuck a copy of their Lr3 catalogue away first (or 2 or 3 copies!) as Lr4 will upgrade the Lr3 catalogue. Giving a trial Lr4 access to the full catalogue will give someone a true sense of how much impact, if any, they will see.