Lightroom 3, Beta 2 out now!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by firestarter, Mar 23, 2010.

1. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Looks promising - although I have to say I have mixed feelings about a second beta coming out. Means we have longer to wait for the full release!

2. Badradio macrumors 6502

Why only "select" cameras? Isn't tethering just a case of the app watching the memory card for image files arriving? There's no direct communication between the app and the camera operating system, is there?

3. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

Read the press release!

Old-school Lightroom tethering was based on folder watching. This new tethering functionality uses the manufacturers own SDK to allow LR to talk directly to the camera. It therefore only supports cameras supported by these SDKs.

I don't know whether the old folder-watching style tethering has been retained.

4. Badradio macrumors 6502

But I trusted your summary to provide all of the pertinent information... :p

That sounds cool though. I've no need for tethering (I'll be upgrading for other reasons) but I like to know the technology as people always seem to ask me...

5. anubis macrumors 6502a

My credit card as Adobe's name all over it. Just waiting for the final release ;)

6. Badradio macrumors 6502

Same here. I'm still on LR1, so it's going to be a big jump in both speed and functionality for me. This Beta 2 release does suggest we'll be waiting until at least summer though.

7. yaroldb macrumors 6502

The noise reduction on this thing is going to give programs like NoiseNinja a run for their money. This is truly incredible. I'm taking high ISO pictures and it's night and day. I am so very impressed.

8. sonor macrumors 6502

I'm impressed. Importing is much quicker and noise reduction seems to be very good, now that colour and luminance are both functioning.

Shot at 3200 on my D200 - not noted for great high ISO performance...

[​IMG]

9. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Wow! I'm pretty familiar with what ISO3200 looks like coming straight out of a D200 (I have a D80 using the same sensor) and the few I have taken at ISO3200 are borderline unusable even for standard screen viewing. That is pretty amazing! Will definitely embolden me to shoot at higher ISOs much more often. I always just intended to wait until the retail release of LR3 to look into it but now I am tempted to try the beta...

Ruahrc

10. dpastern macrumors member

Thanks for this. I'll grab the beta 2 update. LR is one of the things on my hit list, but I'll wait for v3 to go public before buying it.

Dave

11. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Tom Hogarty, Project Manager for Lr3, has said that additional camera tethering support is coming.

I'll be disappointed if it doesn't get lens distortion correction similar to what DxO does, but won't be surprised when it's a no-show.

The new Ps5 demo stuff looks pretty amazing as well. I guess I better save my pennies...

12. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

On this topic, I saw this today as well: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1003/10032402lightroombetaupdate.asp

Without igniting a flame war, after reading articles and quotes like this, it makes me a little sad that Apple lacks Adobe's transparency not only when it comes to public betas, but also commenting on and reacting to consumer feedback on features, etc.

I guess we'll really know once the final product is released (this summer?)!