Lightroom 3: Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RWil85, Aug 26, 2010.

1. RWil85 macrumors 6502

I imported photos to Lightroom 3 from a 16GB SD card..about 500 of them.

I have since removed the card, seemingly standard procedure, and now when I try to access/edit the photos from within LR 3 - it says, "The file named 'P1000319.JPG' is offline or missing."

What do I need to do to reconcile this?

I am under the impression that once imported, the photos are saved within LR3? Am I mistaken?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, i will def a take a look..

I put the SD card back in and the pics instantly become available..

to be more specific...I have already imported those 500 pics into iPhoto..now, what i am trying to do is import those same photos into LR3..is there a quick procedure to be able to accomplish this?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What I do is I copy the contents of my SD cards to my Photography / Library / "camera" / "YYYY" / "MM_month" / "YYYYMMDD" folder and then open LightRoom and import the photos from that folder on my internal or external HDD and select to not move or copy them to a LR folder.

Was that understandable?

5. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502

Gotcha.

Just for clarification. you click the "ADD" button during import? which states "Add photos to the catalog without moving them."?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, I select "Add photos to the catalog without moving them".

7. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502

Last question..i'm sure i can find it somewhere, but seemingly you're knowledgeable on the subject..

If i do that..obviously my photos will have to stay in a place visible to LR 3 (on my computer)?

I'm trying to avoid saving them in iPhoto and LR3 as that would take up a ton too much HDD space going forward..

every time you import...do you import to your custom Photography folder that you made first, then import to LR?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't use iPhoto anyway, as LR satisfies my needs in almost all ways anyway.

Every time I "import" images from an SD card, I first copy them to my specified folder and after that is finished, I import them to LR.
    LR might be able to that for you too, meaning you can import your photos directly from the SD card and let LR copy the photos to a specified folder. Take a look at the link I gave you in my first post for further information.